Sparrows

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by heatherindeskies, Jun 8, 2011.

1. heatherindeskies

heatherindeskies Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2010
    SE Minnesota
    I dislike sparrows... the noise, the feed they steal and the crapping on everything in my shed. wish they would die off, but tonight when I had the opportunity to catch a baby, all I had to do was knock it in the head or give it to the cat. I couldn't do it. The little thing was frozen in my hand, staring at me with those innocent eyes, and I couldn't do the deed.
    Not only that, I had to help give it flying lessons so it could perch high enough to avoid the cats.
    Please remind me of this next time I whine about sparrows in my shed!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. fried green eggs

fried green eggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    S.E. Michigan
    I hate the mess they make in our barn and I love one of our barn cats named 'Rafter' because she helps keep them in check. [​IMG]

3. chickchickpeck5548

chickchickpeck5548 New Egg

Apr 15, 2011
    i have had eighteen hens now for eight weeks now and get average 16 eggs a day .but have gone thru five fifty lbs of pellet feed with an automated feeder at that rate thats about ten bucks an egg.j:(ust kidding but i dont think the chicks are eating all the food.what can i do to keep birds mice etc.out???help cant afford this for long.i am currently using a built in auto feeder in wall with about a 16 inch feeding trough about ten inches off ground and on wall.thanks for any good ideas here..mike

4. bryan99705

bryan99705 Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:You definatly NOT be called a natural born killer!

5. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Aww, Heather, you softie! [​IMG]

6. beesong

beesong Chillin' With My Peeps

House sparrows (English sparrows) will not only eat up all your feed, but they will also kill the native birds in their nests -- especially bluebirds and tree swallows. It's an endless battle, but I do all I can to trap them. The primary ways to do that are with nest box traps and feed traps. The situation in your barn is perfect for a feed trap. This one is the greatest; I have had excellent luck with it: http://sparrowtrap.net/

The
    increasing population of bluebirds in my nest boxes as I improve the habitat for them by trapping the house sparrows is very rewarding. You can remove any native species that get into the trap so that you only trap the non-native house sparrows. Make sure you're getting the correct species. I drown them, and then the dogs have them for a treat. Other solutions are to give them to a local Raptor Rehab group; falconers often want them, too. At least they don't go to waste that way. For the best source of information on identifying and trapping your target species (also its nests and nestlings), go to: www.sialis.org/

7. SentryFE

SentryFE Out Of The Brooder

May 30, 2011
    English sparrows should be killed at every chance.

8. Mattemma

Mattemma Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    I find it hard to kill the sparrows but I do. I was reminded of the need to do so when I found the blue bird nest box had become a coffin for 3-4 baby blue birds.They must have been dead for a week or more.So sad as I remember the blue bird parents working so hard.Whenever I get *soft* I look at the pic of those dead babies. If I don't kill sparrows then that is the only type bird I will have in my yard. I don't want that.

Babies are cute.Birds,bunnies,coons....all very cute,but then they grow up to become a pest. I have lost a lot of vegetation to wild animals.You work so hard to care for your plants and animals only to wake up to it all gone. If animals are smart they will stay out of my yard.

I use the nest box trap and the repeating trap too. When I get a nest box bird I will put it in the repeating trap to attract the sparrows. Lol, you will get some chipmunks in that trap too!

9. beesong

beesong Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Glad to hear you have good luck with that repeating trap, too. I don't have chipmunks here so never got any in it. I do wish it would trap ground squirrels, though! Yes, what these English house sparrows can do to baby bluebirds is horrid. They are such vicious things -- like the raccoons of the bird world.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by