Spastic 1 month chicks. What can I do?

JessicaPoff

Chirping
Mar 5, 2021
We have new baby chicks which are a month old now. We received them on Feb 12 which we think they were born around the 8-10 of that month. They were so tiny when we got them. We purchased them from a Rural King in VA and took them home which was a 2 hour drive. Before we got them they came from Iowa so they had a 16+ hour drive. Before when we had chicks we got from a local hatchery. And these chicks were fine. But these new chicks are so freaked out. They spaz when I stick my hand in their tote. We have tried to hold them and play with them to get them use to us. We try feeding them out of our hands so no success there. They still act like they are about to have a heart attack when we try to pick on up. They flap their wings and about fly out of our hands and chirp so loud and shake. Our last bunch was not like this. I wondering if the long drive at such an early age caused this.
What else can we do to get them to chill out and be more laid back? I don't want freaked out chickens. FYI they are Barred Rocks and Lavender Orpingtons. The LOs are the most freaked out. And I thought the Orpingtons were suppose to be the most chilled of all the chicken breeds.

We have them inside with us just FYI. With the cold weather at this time of year and not really a good insulted garage we felt it was better for them to have them inside with us where it is warmer. I thought maybe this could be what is causing them to stress out. Our constant noises.

Last edited:
You've had them inside with you about a month? They should be used to your noises.
If the tote is where they can't see you well until you are right on top of them, that may be an issue.
Start announcing that you are there and sit down next to the tote so you are more on their level and not hovering. Some chicks don't tolerate handling well, so sitting and just talking with them may help. When you reach into the brooder are you trying to catch them or just doing "chores" (food/water, changing bedding)?
At a month old, they should be a good size by now, how much space does the tote offer?

I agree to announce your approach with whatever phrase you want to use, then I find checking on each one, making eye contact really helps. Only then do I reach in and only to change their food or water. They run around a bit but nothing like you are describing which sounds like they were traumatized from getting handled in the past maybe but if they associate a hand with getting taken out to be petted then they will start to resent the hand even during a simple water change.

Chicks don't need to or like to be petted. I know people swear by it all the time but people swear by a lot of things. Chicks appreciate us looking after them and if that is all we do they will tolerate us but they won't ever be like a cat that likes to be petted and doing so too much could freak them out.
You might thik it is exactly what you should be doing more of, not really, the aim is to get them to lay eggs, not be a cat so get their priorities straight and things should settle.

PS: mine listen to rock music, loud action films and whatever else I am doing. They don't mind this at all I'd say.

I have only 2, got them Sunday.
I say Hi when I come in the room but then the door is closed so they hear that. Just yesterday they will eat from my hand with a few crumbs in it. BUT I have been putting my hand in with crumbs in it for 2 days.

Maybe it is because they are so many?
Have you just sat by the brooder and read to them... let them see you just hanging out and talking. Might let them see you are not Threat

I have never been one to handle baby chicks unless absolutely necessary. And I limit sudden movements whenever I am in close proximity to them both as chicks and when grown. And have never had much of a problem with flighty chickens.

I agree to announce your approach with whatever phrase you want to use, then I find checking on each one, making eye contact really helps. Only then do I reach in and only to change their food or water. They run around a bit but nothing like you are describing which sounds like they were traumatized from getting handled in the past maybe but if they associate a hand with getting taken out to be petted then they will start to resent the hand even during a simple water change.

Chicks don't need to or like to be petted. I know people swear by it all the time but people swear by a lot of things. Chicks appreciate us looking after them and if that is all we do they will tolerate us but they won't ever be like a cat that likes to be petted and doing so too much could freak them out.
You might thik it is exactly what you should be doing more of, not really, the aim is to get them to lay eggs, not be a cat so get their priorities straight and things should settle.

PS: mine listen to rock music, loud action films and whatever else I am doing. They don't mind this at all I'd say.
^^^ This. Took me years to accept this. Now I just excessively cuddle my dogs - they love it and can’t get enough.

Back
Top Bottom