Spaying

She is constantly egg bound. Avian vet thinks it may be her reproductive system. They offer a hormone chip injection to stop her from laying , but it only works for 3-4 months and cost 400 each time. Plus, the hormone injection causes her not to be herself. We love her and want her as a pet, but she’s constantly in pain, egg bound, and miserable. I’ve read of spaying hens and it being successful.
Do an internet search and see if you can find an avian practitioner. They do exist. You might also try contacting university veterinary schools.

I'm sorry you are going through this. I didn't realize the hormone treatment only lasted a few months, and I understand why you are looking for a permanent solution. Can the avian vet that has seen her refer you to someone? I saw someone mention Davis, and perhaps even if you cannot go there, if you call, they can connect you with someone closer that can possibly help? Good luck taking care of your girl. While you are trying to sort it out, I like the idea of keeping her dark for more hours a day to trick her body to quit laying.

She is constantly egg bound. Avian vet thinks it may be her reproductive system. They offer a hormone chip injection to stop her from laying , but it only works for 3-4 months and cost 400 each time. Plus, the hormone injection causes her not to be herself. We love her and want her as a pet, but she’s constantly in pain, egg bound, and miserable. I’ve read of spaying hens and it being successful.
Spaying is most likely going to kill her. We did a study at my university on it and 7 times out of 10 the hen died within a week after the procedure. And almost nearly in all the cases the hen did within a year after the operation. So sorry to hear that your hen isn’t doing so great. Spend as much time as you can with her and I wish you luck.

I need to find a vet that will spay my hen. All vets that see chickens will only give us the hormone to stop egg laying and they charge a fortune each time. How do I find a spaying vet in Silicon Valley?
This may be out of yout comfort zone but just a thought... please don’t yell at me. You could do it yourself. Reasearch caponizing it is the castration on roosters. The same procedure is done on females. You remove the ovaries and leave the vent intact. Many years ago this was done on farms to get capons( altered roosters, think steers in cattle) and poulardes(altered hens) for sale. This was not done by vets or professionals. I have a picture of a ten year old girl belly up to a barrel preforming the procedure with her 7 year old brother and assistant. But if this is a pet chicken you may want to not do this.

Back
Top Bottom