Speaking of milk and milking...

Swamp Roo

Songster
11 Years
Apr 22, 2008
SW FL
I've been thinking about getting some goats sometime in the next year. After reading a bit I had pretty much decided NOT to get milk goats. I just don't have the inclination to milk twice a day. One book even suggested every twelve hours. So what is the reality? Books and articles often assume you want maximum yield and are based on commercial agri business (seems that way to me at least). I also do go on vacation periodically and it is a bit much to ask for someone to come by twice a day to milk and then feed all of the critters. I'd love to provide my own milk, but I'm not willing hog tie myself. Thanks.

Edited to add: That I'm still looking to get meat goats regardless of the milk goat decision.

Swamp

Last edited:
If you are milking goats, yes, you have to milk them twice a day... every single day. It is best to keep it at a 12 hour apart schedule. So you milk everyday at 7:00 a.m. and 7:00 p.m. or 5:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. see? If you get off a little (hopefully never more than an hour) once in a while it's ok, just get back onto their regular schedule as quickly as possible.

You don't get to take vacations with milk animals unless you have someone to come and milk them for you ... twice a day.

Now, I do know some people only milk once a day in the winter because the milk production slows way down. Also, you can dry up your goat at anytime and not have to milk her until she has babies again.

With mine I can milk once a day if I leave the babies on them during the day and then separate the babies from the moms during the night. That way I only have to milk 1 time a day ...I love my goats and the milk they give me and its not to much trouble either. Well worth it considering how much milk costs at the store.

I milk twice a day (I've been doing it for about a week). It takes about 5-10 minutes total from start to finish and I do it at about 7am and 5:30-6pm. Not exactly 12 hours, but I still have a family to take care of and it seems to be working just fine for us. Also, you can use the dairy goats as meat goats too. Males or Wethers at about 5-6 months that haven't sold as pets to others can be sent to the butcher. So, that's something to think about there so that you can have the milk and meat!

Thanks everyone. You've confirmed that I will not be getting milk goats anytime soon. I'll still get some meat goats though.

Swamp

Back
Top Bottom