Special needs duck

frenchbet

In the Brooder
Dec 3, 2015
In early December one of my 5 week old khaki campbell ducklings was injured in a duck stampeed. At first she was only able to walk on her hocks. Now 5 weeks later she walks upright on her feet. She walks very slowly and loses her balance sometimes. I named her G.G. (Good Girl) because I would call her that everytime I handled her after accident and she would wag her tail each time I said it. I am amazed by her progess. And so glad I didn't give up on her. I have her seperated from the flock since her injury. She has an enclosed kennel run in adjacent to the duck pen. She shares the coop in a seperate area. She has visual of the flock at all times.She gets swimmtime in a high trough where the other ducks can come up to her but not get in the water. She loves that! I allow her supervised time out with the flock. The other ducks will always at some point go after her and knock her down. I always intervene quickly. When free ranging under supervision she will walk herself back to her kennel when she's had enough time out of her kennel. I am so in love with her and really dedicated to helping her be happy. I'm not sure she will ever fully recover to where she is 100%. I'm hoping to hear from anyone who has ever been able to successfully reintroduce a duck after being seperated from the flock for a long time. Has anyone been in a situation where they had a duck in the living arrangements where they were by themselves, but could see the flock thru fencing and supervised interaction? I'm so hoping that one day I can reintroduce her and have a hard time telling which one is her. But I'm not so sure that is realistic. Any suggestions to help her be happy is greatly appreciated.

In early December one of my 5 week old khaki campbell ducklings was injured in a duck stampeed. At first she was only able to walk on her hocks. Now 5 weeks later she walks upright on her feet. She walks very slowly and loses her balance sometimes. I named her G.G. (Good Girl) because I would call her that everytime I handled her after accident and she would wag her tail each time I said it. I am amazed by her progess. And so glad I didn't give up on her. I have her seperated from the flock since her injury. She has an enclosed kennel run in adjacent to the duck pen. She shares the coop in a seperate area. She has visual of the flock at all times.She gets swimmtime in a high trough where the other ducks can come up to her but not get in the water. She loves that! I allow her supervised time out with the flock. The other ducks will always at some point go after her and knock her down. I always intervene quickly. When free ranging under supervision she will walk herself back to her kennel when she's had enough time out of her kennel. I am so in love with her and really dedicated to helping her be happy. I'm not sure she will ever fully recover to where she is 100%. I'm hoping to hear from anyone who has ever been able to successfully reintroduce a duck after being seperated from the flock for a long time. Has anyone been in a situation where they had a duck in the living arrangements where they were by themselves, but could see the flock thru fencing and supervised interaction? I'm so hoping that one day I can reintroduce her and have a hard time telling which one is her. But I'm not so sure that is realistic. Any suggestions to help her be happy is greatly appreciated.
@frenchbet Welcome to BYC and Congratulations on getting your GG back to where she is now.

Sounds like you have the set up already in place as far as having the flock and her side by side that is how we always encourage someone who is introducing another duck to an established flock , Maybe you should try putting a duck at a time in with her the more laid back[no drakes] first and see how that would go if it goes good try another. Till all have been in with her or are in with her. Sometimes they just pick up that one is different and will pick no matter what as a flock but you maybe able to find 1 or 2 maybe more who would be happy with her till you feel they can all be together again. Please know I appreciate you giving her this chance at a normal life and think all the TLC you gave her is what did it plus they are amazing animals and how they can over come. Please keep us updated.

You've done a remarkable job of getting GG to where she is today. Thanks so much for giving her the care and love that she truly deserves. I agree with Miss Lydia that you might try to introduce a duck to be with her. I agree a female that is quiet and will hopefully will be a good companion for her. God bless and let us know how she doing.

Miss Lydia thank you so much for your input. I appreciate your suggestions. I will try that when and if she is not so fragile. I would hate to get her so far and have her reinjured. We have our pen set up to where we can gate it off into 2 seperate pens which if what we had to do when the ducklings were little to keep the dad drake and Aint from them and the mom duck. That worked great as they could be side by side and see each other at all times. Right now putting her out with them when they first are let out to free range works pretty good. They are so busy lookong for worms etc they hardly notice her. I will update as she hopefully continues to improve.

Thank you pattyhen I am actually an RN so any sick or injured animal I'm right on it. The body, whether human or animal, is an amazing thing. And I know recovery can be a slow process. I cried when she was first injured, but I knew that if I gave her the care and time she may improve. Animals have no voice, unfortunately, and a lot of times it can be a guessing game on the right plan of care for them. We have to remember these domesticated animals are at our mercy for their well being. I have to say I love them all big, small, fur or feathers....snakes I'll pass on ha!

Your very welcome. GG is very lucky to have a person like you to care for her and love her. I will pass on snakes too.
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom