Special serama hen

Jjdesmo11

Songster
6 Years
Jun 1, 2017
Tennessee
I know this question has been asked before. And I know what I would say if it was me... but I have a 4 month old “house” serama. She seems content in the house but obviously I don’t want this to be a long term thing. She hatched with a roo who I rehomed. He was flighty and wouldn’t let me get close to her. I found another silked serama hen. Drove 2 hrs to get her. She is about 1 yr old and I tired to integrate them by putting close, in a look no touch situation. Then I put them in a small prefab coop with and the older hen attacked her all day, nothing significant but she had no where to run because it was so small. Either way I put the silkied serama hen with my D’Uccles outside because she wasn’t happy on my porch in a pre fab coop. My serama hen is still alone in the house but I have duccle chicks that are 2 and 1 week old. Would it be ok to add one to her cage? Obviously I’d see her as the aggressor, due to her size. Should I wait till the chicks are 6 weeks? I know it seems like a bad idea but I think she would be better with a younger bird vs older because she’s so docile. The cage is 4ft by 2 so it’s large! I’m going out of town on 2 weeks for a week and I can’t bear to think she will be alone for a whole week! Any tips on adding a friend for her. I care for her so much and she seems so content on her own with me as her flock. Also I can’t do the whole chicken diaper situation and pretty sure my family will disown me if I take her on vacation to the beach! I’ll add pictures of my sweet girl

Attachments

• 9B6649D7-5377-4E71-B0CA-448CDF43EDED.jpeg
    9B6649D7-5377-4E71-B0CA-448CDF43EDED.jpeg
    434.7 KB · Views: 40
  • FF7DFC7E-FC61-4967-B709-0D543A325766.jpeg
    FF7DFC7E-FC61-4967-B709-0D543A325766.jpeg
    482.4 KB · Views: 30
  • 66EC4450-3E42-45FB-B330-1655BC3F2F92.jpeg
    66EC4450-3E42-45FB-B330-1655BC3F2F92.jpeg
    789.9 KB · Views: 30
  • 79D8C831-9F8B-4C5D-83F1-1F181EB5AFAC.jpeg
    79D8C831-9F8B-4C5D-83F1-1F181EB5AFAC.jpeg
    526.7 KB · Views: 33
No good news from me because I am the mother of a chicken who has failed to leave the house. Dottie was the lone layer chick in a brooder full of bigger, aggressive broilers at the local farm store. It was the fall of 2019, the weather turned cold fast and she was only going to stay in the house until spring. Or so I thought.

Attempts to integrate her with other chickens have failed. Dottie lives in a big dog crate in my dining room, takes field trips outdoors where she avoids the other chickens (although the ducks and geese don't seem to upset her), and makes herself at home indoors whenever I feel like keeping "poop watch." She's never going to be diapered.

She mostly leaves the cat alone, interacts with the 26-pound rescue terrier and will nap with all three of us on the sofa. I am going to try ONE more time this year to introduce her to some smaller, less threatening companions -- I have eight chicks brooding right now, including three Cochin Bantams and the full-sized Cochins that I hope are mellow enough not to frighten her.

When I was a kid, we had parakeets and a mynah bird in the house. Sigh. Dottie's just a little bigger, no louder and no messier than the mynah. I don't think she's at all unhappy with the arrangement, and I can live with it.

Best wishes on finding a good solution for your pretty little girl and yourself.

No good news from me because I am the mother of a chicken who has failed to leave the house. Dottie was the lone layer chick in a brooder full of bigger, aggressive broilers at the local farm store. It was the fall of 2019, the weather turned cold fast and she was only going to stay in the house until spring. Or so I thought.

Attempts to integrate her with other chickens have failed. Dottie lives in a big dog crate in my dining room, takes field trips outdoors where she avoids the other chickens (although the ducks and geese don't seem to upset her), and makes herself at home indoors whenever I feel like keeping "poop watch." She's never going to be diapered.

She mostly leaves the cat alone, interacts with the 26-pound rescue terrier and will nap with all three of us on the sofa. I am going to try ONE more time this year to introduce her to some smaller, less threatening companions -- I have eight chicks brooding right now, including three Cochin Bantams and the full-sized Cochins that I hope are mellow enough not to frighten her.

When I was a kid, we had parakeets and a mynah bird in the house. Sigh. Dottie's just a little bigger, no louder and no messier than the mynah. I don't think she's at all unhappy with the arrangement, and I can live with it.

Best wishes on finding a good solution for your pretty little girl and yourself.
I love hearing this! I feel like some are happier on their own with our company. In a few weeks I’ll see how she does with a D’Uccle chick. Maybe she will like some company. I just hate to leave her for a week while on vacation. Thanks for sharing your story. Some are just too sweet to keep outside 😀

How did the integration go? Or do you still have a house Serama?
So sweet of you to ask. So they are together. I went on vacation and she went broody because of me putting the chick with her and she’s doing the broody hen thing wretch she doesn’t like to be held etc. so I noticed that she was feather pecking my frizzle D’Uccle chick so I decided I needed to move them to the bigger cage outside. They needed more space to avoid the pecking. And so far they are doing well. She’s getting more friendly with me but still no eggs so still broody. The frizzle D’Uccle is so skidish I’m working with holding and treats with her. So I think it will be a good thing if she doesn’t start pecking again. So I’m trying to keep them happy and occupied with treats 😊

Attachments

• BE92330A-F9DF-47EA-9B5F-4B25699E1994.jpeg
    BE92330A-F9DF-47EA-9B5F-4B25699E1994.jpeg
    394.4 KB · Views: 23
  • 297C4F66-14DC-4C4F-8C6A-CFFB41683E25.jpeg
    297C4F66-14DC-4C4F-8C6A-CFFB41683E25.jpeg
    475.9 KB · Views: 25

Back
Top Bottom