Specific advice for mealworms?

WolfeeClucks

Hatching
Jan 1, 2016
I'm trying to raise mealworms for my chickens (And a little for myself, I want to try eating insects).
And I just want to know two things: Do you have to keep the beetles separate from the pupae? And is it okay if some beetles escape into the wild? I ask the latter because two sources told me the opposite answer: one said they are common in the US, and the other said they're not native to North America. A few bugs goes a long way, and I don't want to ruin ecosystems!

Hi :welcome

Glad you could join us here! I'm afraid I've never raised meal worms so can't be of much help to you.
ChickenCanoe has left you a great link to check out.

Wishing you the very best of luck and enjoy BYC :frow

I'm sure your chickens will love them - but, I would never try to eat them
sickbyc.gif

welcome-byc.gif

Mealworms are my chickens favorite treat, good luck growing them. I'll have to agree with drumstick diva though, they don't look very appealing to me
hmm.png

Welcome to BYC
frow.gif
I've raised quite a large colony of worms over the last few months and I remove the beetles and place them in a fresh tub after about 3-4 weeks, or when I see signs of littles in the tubs. I've read that the beetles may eat the eggs and littles, whether that's true or not I can't tell you. I do put a cardboard in the tub for the beetles to sit under when they are not eating, or otherwise active, as I heard this helps keep them out of the bedding where the eggs and littles are.

I'm afraid I can't answer your second question.

Good luck with your venture and do check out the thread ChickenCanoe linked for you above. There is some good info there.

Back
Top Bottom