Specific feather loss

HHHValley

Hatching
Nov 26, 2023
Hello all I’m new here.

I’ve got 8 Dominique’s and am a first time backyard chicken owner. I do everything I can to stay on top of my girls and make sure everyone’s healthy as best I can.

I feel as though I have everything covered, good space, dust bath, clean coop etc. But noticed some weird feather loss that I’m not sure is moult. I also caught one of my girls eating a feather so I immediately thought maybe she felt she was missing something in their diet? I’ll take some trouble shooting if I can get it. I’ve been giving them solider fly larvae with sunflower seeds free choice as well to insure their protein is up. They have an automatic feeder set up as well for their regular feed.

No bleeding but similar bald spots!

Please let me know your thoughts. Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_4341.jpeg
    IMG_4341.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 45
  • IMG_4342.jpeg
    IMG_4342.jpeg
    869.3 KB · Views: 11
Looks like roo damage or a dominant hen.
Eating feathers is normally a calcium difficency. You providing oyster shell on the side?
Hi! Thank you for responding!

I have oyster shells free choice, no rooster and the layer feed I give them is 16%. Otherwise everyone acts happy and healthy.

Hi! Thank you for responding!

I have oyster shells free choice, no rooster and the layer feed I give them is 16%. Otherwise everyone acts happy and healthy.
I'm stumped then. Only 1 of the 7 pictured isn't showing any feather loss on their back. Hopefully someone else can offer some insight soon for you.

Do you have a rooster? Feather picking can be a result of boredom from not getting outside to roam, overcrowding, not enough protein, too much light inside the coop, and rooster damage. Chicken feed is the best diet for them, at least 16-20% protein. They don’t need very much sunflower seed or larvae, only a spoonful if any. If one hen is doing the feather picking, you can use pinless peepers for that one to make it hard to see the target.

Do you have a rooster? Feather picking can be a result of boredom from not getting outside to roam, overcrowding, not enough protein, too much light inside the coop, and rooster damage. Chicken feed is the best diet for them, at least 16-20% protein. They don’t need very much sunflower seed or larvae, only a spoonful if any. If one hen is doing the feather picking, you can use pinless peepers for that one to make it hard to see the target.
H! No rooster. I have that run but that’s it. I haven’t found another way to let them safely forage when I’m home since we have high predator activity in the area—we have them all. My concern is that bald spot is appearing in the other chickens as well. Is there a safe way to let them forage that you can recommend?

IMG_5319.jpeg

Update :(

One of the girls has gotten pecked so badly she only has two tail feathers at the moment.

I separated her in my own little chicken infirmary in my garage hoping to give her space and time to heal before I bring her back to the flock.

The good news is she is growing new feather shafts but they’re all pecking each other badly. I suppose this one is the bottom of the pecking order.

The back balding/feather pecking has not improved. Everyone seems to be eating and otherwise doing chicken things.

I’m honestly stumped. I might try chicken saddles for all of them to discourage the back pecking.

That pic was before I cleaned it, applied vetericyn spray and antibiotic ointment to the area. I’ve covered the crate with a blanket, added some supplemental heating (she’s in the garage and it’s 35* at night; one of those stand up chicken heating plates). She’s got food and water. Hopefully she heals quickly.

I’ll take any encouragement. I feel like a terrible chicken tender. Thanks all.

I’ve been giving them solider fly larvae with sunflower seeds free choice as well to insure their protein is up. They have an automatic feeder set up as well for their regular feed.

the layer feed I give them is 16%.

The good news is she is growing new feather shafts but they’re all pecking each other badly. I suppose this one is the bottom of the pecking order.

The back balding/feather pecking has not improved. Everyone seems to be eating and otherwise doing chicken things.
Feather picking can become a bad habit.

Have you tried increasing the protein they get via their normal feed - providing an 18-20% Protein All Flock feed instead of 16% Layer feed?

Run looks fairly large, but how much space is inside the coop? You are seeing them pecking each other while outside in the run or just see evidence of it by feather loss/injury?

Pinless Peepers may be something to put on the offenders. Usually, it's the most pristine feathered hens within a flock that are the pickers. Put the Peepers on those and see how it goes.

Back
Top Bottom