Specific greenage in run?

My girls seem to love grape leaves and most any tender new growth.

It sounds like the nightshade family plants are bad. My girls do eat them. They mowed down all the eggplant starts and I've caught them munching on the tomato plants as well as the fruits. They had pretty runny poop the other day, would that be from eating the tomato plants? I've had a hard time keeping them out of the tomatoes though. When i let them free range they almost always end up in the tomato bed, I think it is one of the coolest spots in the yard. Is it very toxic to them or just cause indigestion? I am not sure how to keep them out. Other than to not let them free range, I like to let them out to roam and forage for bugs in the evenings after work.

Quote:
Oh wow, thanks for that. I JUST planted a tomato plant back there. I'm going to move it in the morning.

I do want greenery for looks and also because mine like to dig in the dirt under bushes for shade. But I would also like to plant things for them to snack on. I have a grape vine in the outer run that they have when we're home, so that's a good start. I'll try the sunflowers, too!

Thanks!!

The leaves and stems of tomato are toxic. Don't know about pepper or potato; however the ripe vegetables themselves are just fine for the birds. Don't however feed raw potato to them if there is any green on hte skin.

My feathered family
love all greens from the lettece family.
and tomatoes tossed into their run,
I planted 2 grape vines to grow
over their run for shade
and the grapes they love to eat.

Back
Top Bottom