1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Speck in First Egg

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mtnhomechick, Jul 27, 2008.

1. mtnhomechick

mtnhomechick Songster

Jun 27, 2008
    Mountain Home, AR
    I think one of my red sex links just laid her first egg. It was just the membrane. A strong membrane but no shell. There was a speck in the egg. Very small.....I got it out to look at it but couldn't tell what it was.

Some of my first birds have been laying for about a month now and I have never seen this in their eggs. They also had real hard shells right from the start.

Any Thoughts ?

Thanx

2. the1much

the1much Currently Birdless Hippy

alot of chickens lay "shelless" eggs for the first time,,,some do it a few times,,,,,and i think your "spec" could be the "baby" ,,they start out as a "dot" in the yolk.,,,,,,, but im new at this too,, so others that have done it longer probably have a better answer [​IMG]

3. mtnhomechick

mtnhomechick Songster

Jun 27, 2008
    Mountain Home, AR
    It wasn't a fertile egg.......the roo left three weeks ago. Almost looked like a minute speck of straw.....but I really don't know what it was.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: