Speckled Egg??

CrzyChicLady

Chirping
9 Years
Oct 28, 2010
My hens are laying in the coop again!
celebrate.gif
I collected TWO whole eggs yesterday and quickly replaced them with golf balls.
lol.png
BUT one of the eggs has speckles all over it. When I ran the egg under water the speckles would wash off with a little help from my thumb nail. What is it? This eggs was from my sexlinks and the nest is very clean.

it's normal and there is no need to wash it off. It's just like we have freckles... sometimes eggs get them too. I actually PREFER getting speckled eggs. I know a lot of people that do. It makes them more interesting.

I agree, speckled eggs are great! I use to have a Red sex link that laid speckled eggs, but she was killed several months ago. I'm hoping one of my replacement pullets will lay some of those beauties!
lol.png

Please bear with me as I am new to this.. The "freckles" on the eggs that can wash off -I was told is dirt and "stuff" from the hen which has to be washed off. Is this true? I love seeing spotted eggs and to wash them off is a pain! I am not sure how much cleaning is needed. thoughts?

Quote:
That's what I thought too. One thing I forgot to mention is that this is the first time I've seen any speckled eggs. I've had my hens for a year now.

My Welsummers will lay a speckled eggs every once and a while. I think they are the best and off to the bator they go!

The top 2 are EE's, the bottom left is a Red Sex links, and the bottom right is a regular Welsummer Egg.

72993_img00265-20110226-1331.jpg

Some more Wellie Eggs

72993_img00345-20110323-0038.jpg

Nate

Last edited:
I am getting a speckled egg every couple of days but don't know from which hen. Could my Welsummer lay a smooth terra cotta egg one day and a speckled one the next day? I haven't gotten one of each egg on the same day yet.
I missed whoever laid it by minutes...the egg was still warm!!
1f62c.png

There are several breeds who lay speckled eggs. I have 2 or 3 hens that lay them, Out of 40, and i don't know which ones they are. HOWEVER, in looking thru one of my catalogs i get from hatcheries that show pictures of the eggs, i have seen them there.

Back
Top Bottom