Speckled Egg...

sramelyk

In the Brooder
7 Years
Apr 16, 2012
Borden, IN
Well, since my 1 hen started laying she has laid about 1 egg every day for the last 2 months. Occasionally missing a day. Today, she laid her first egg that looked different than the rest. Just wondering if it indicates something.. Like lack of something in her diet, etc.

What worries me is that I thought speckled eggs were produced by certain breeds. Or the egg color was kinda personal to each chicken. It bothers me that suddenly after 2 months of solid eggs I have a speckled one.

I sometimes get a freckled egg too. :) If it's an indicator of trouble than it must be a minor one, because my ladies have been just fine. You're right in thinking that egg "type" varies by breed and by chicken, but no chicken lays a uniform egg every day.

Brown eggs are actually white eggs with a coating of pigment applied during the laying process. I guess the speckled ones get a bit splattered in the process.

I had a maran whose egg color would vary a little and would sometimes have speckles. I think the egg paint sprayer potion of their bodies just isn't always perfect.

Back
Top Bottom