1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

Speckled Egg...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by sramelyk, Oct 6, 2012.

1. sramelyk

sramelyk In the Brooder

Apr 16, 2012
    Borden, IN
    Well, since my 1 hen started laying she has laid about 1 egg every day for the last 2 months. Occasionally missing a day. Today, she laid her first egg that looked different than the rest. Just wondering if it indicates something.. Like lack of something in her diet, etc.

[​IMG]

2. sramelyk

sramelyk In the Brooder

Apr 16, 2012
    Borden, IN
    What worries me is that I thought speckled eggs were produced by certain breeds. Or the egg color was kinda personal to each chicken. It bothers me that suddenly after 2 months of solid eggs I have a speckled one.

3. Gofygure

Gofygure Songster

Mar 4, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    I sometimes get a freckled egg too. :) If it's an indicator of trouble than it must be a minor one, because my ladies have been just fine. You're right in thinking that egg "type" varies by breed and by chicken, but no chicken lays a uniform egg every day.

Brown eggs are actually white eggs with a coating of pigment applied during the laying process. I guess the speckled ones get a bit splattered in the process.

4. ChickensRDinos

ChickensRDinos Songster

Aug 19, 2012
    Los Angeles
    I had a maran whose egg color would vary a little and would sometimes have speckles. I think the egg paint sprayer potion of their bodies just isn't always perfect.

5. sramelyk

sramelyk In the Brooder

Apr 16, 2012
    Borden, IN
    Ok, thanks... This is good to know! Whew.. I love the freckles though, the egg is so cool looking..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by