Speckled Sussex laying eggs without shell

uniqueblacksheep

Chirping
May 29, 2018
Hello, I have 2 Speckled Sussex hens...2 years old. They laid good the first 6 months of laying, then I started seeing very little, now for the last 6 months they have been laying these eggs without shells. I think both of them are doing it...all my other girls are fine. Good shells, good production, they get layer feed and oyster shell in a bowl constantly. I do feed them back crushed eggs shells maybe once a week. They free range about 4 or 5 hours a day but the rest of the time It's their normal food. I'm stumped. Is this a Sussex thing?

Attachments

• 20190516_071009-1224x1632.jpg
    20190516_071009-1224x1632.jpg
    142.4 KB · Views: 19
It's either from stress or a defect in the shell gland. It generally isn't from a calcium deficiency. Some things like heat and ACV can interfere with calcium usage, but generally you see brittle shells.

Hmmm...well it's not hot here. Nothing has changed for a year with the flock for stress...however, I do put ACV in their water... I thought it was good for them...I'm wondering if I shouldn't use it? It seems strange that out of 7 only my 2 Sussex have the problem. They both started this in the late Fall which might be when I started it. Strangely about a month ago one of them gave me an actual egg.

It's either from stress or a defect in the shell gland. It generally isn't from a calcium deficiency. Some things like heat and ACV can interfere with calcium usage, but generally you see brittle shells.
Has

Back
Top Bottom