Speckled Sussex pullet

mustangannie

Chirping
Jun 12, 2019
Arlington, WA
My 13 week old speckled Sussex pullet has white tips on her feathers like she’s supposed to but where the black banding right above it there is a greenish color band instead of black on some of her feathers. Is this normal? She is supposed to be a pure speckles Sussex ...

What you're seeing is likely the green, iridescent sheen associated with black plumage. :) It's quite normal, as well as beautiful, for Speckled Sussex. :love

~Alex
Oh. Whew. I hope that’s normal. I haven’t heard about those black bands looking greenish on speckled Sussex. It’s only in sun that they look like that. Her new feathers coming in are all very rounded.

Oh. Whew. I hope that’s normal. I haven’t heard about those black bands looking greenish on speckled Sussex. It’s only in sun that they look like that. Her new feathers coming in are all very rounded.
Yep, completely normal! :) Have you ever noticed that black chickens appear green in the sun? It's absolutely beautiful. :love

I found a picture of my previous SS....her plumage astounded me. Look familiar? :)
DSCN4648.JPG

~Alex

Back
Top Bottom