Speckled Sussex vs Swedish flower

Marlene bullies everybody except Hobo a dominque who is the top banana and a younger and much smaller hen she is just savage.
Ethel is a good girl except when she's broody then she's just crazy.
No more hatching Ethel eggs, they're so round a suction actually forms and you have to pop the chick out. :)
These girls are in mixed flock obviously, the most prevalent breed out there are faverolles the rooster is one as well.
Sounds pretty comical. Does Marlene bully Ethel? I’m considering the Delaware as well.

Last edited:
I would like a mixed flock of 8 hens, calm, decent egg layers. I would also like a roo to provide protection, if possible with this number of hens. So far on my list of considerations:
Black Australorp
Delaware
SFH
SS
Barnevelder
Plymouth Rock

I welcome any thoughts
Plymouth rocks and wyandottes are 2 of my meanest breeds. I loved my Delaware. That's a good choice. Swedish Flower is my current favorite, tho I had to get rid of my 2 roosters. They attacked every trip down to the coop. SS are sweet. Americaunas are good mixed flock birds. They keep to themselves. Good luck!

It is hard trying to decide on your first flock. Once you think you have it figured out, you find another breed that looks interesting. I have three SS pullets and they are the tamest chickens I’ve ever had. They have started out laying small sized eggs and I get two or three every day. They will probably lay medium sized eggs in a few months, I hope.

Plymouth rocks and wyandottes are 2 of my meanest breeds. I loved my Delaware. That's a good choice. Swedish Flower is my current favorite, tho I had to get rid of my 2 roosters. They attacked every trip down to the coop. SS are sweet. Americaunas are good mixed flock birds. They keep to themselves. Good luck!
I agree about Wyandottes. I had a hen and she was such a brat. Nobody liked her, human nor avian.

I got a Speckled Sussex from a hatchery as a day old chick. From the first day she was soooo sweet. Always the first to run up and check me out, jump on my lap, wanted to be petted. Sadly she got killed when she was just 7 weeks old 😢 😪. I'm getting another one this Friday. Very excited. My Bielefelders are sweet. Well I have 2- one is sweet and will jump up on my lap and seems to like to be pet- the other is much more aloof. My black copper Marans is also pretty friendly. I have Australorps as well. Pretty sure one is a Rooster. They're only 10 weeks old but so far he's been nice. A little skittish but definitely will come up to me and eat out of my hand. I have a pullet too. She's curious but not particularly friendly yet. Just realized this post was from a long time ago. Not deleting it now. Lol

Back
Top Bottom