Speckledhen's Ten Commandments of Good Flock Management

Pics
This "list of ten" is good advise. Thanks for taking the time to write up and post it. Good info for we "old timers" at chicken keeping and for newbies.

If I don't see bugs and their feathers, beaks, nostrils, legs look good, is there anything else I should do to check for mites?

I'm not doing the deep bedding thing. Easier to keep it clean and dry at least every other day, so hopefully I'm not having a mite breeding environment?

Sorry I just saw your post, Gypsi. You listen for raspy breathing would be my main thing after all you listed. Of course, you always want to see clear, shiny eyes. And something can take six weeks to show, though most would show in the first four. Remember, I said "most". Sometimes, nothing shows until you put the bird in your flock and your birds, not the new one, become ill. It's always a gamble to add birds started elsewhere.

I don't do deep litter and I've never had mites or lice here. I do put DE into the straw in the nestboxes, though.

Thanks for the advice on maintaining my flock!
celebrate.gif

idunno.gif
---wasn't sure what to do , i feed egg layer mash--oyster shell, grit ,cracked corn and blk sunflowerseed for a mid day snack ,lots a grass clippings , lettuce water melon--crickets an bugs what i can catch when i take my walk -i spoiled the birds but love it,,and commandment no. 9 set things straight about gining meds unncecessarily--- also where can i find some info on this over head ventilation ???-thanks

To clean pens in between flocks, you'd use hydrated lime heavily, watered in well and let sit for a bit before adding new birds. To clean coops, bleach and water is good. Ammonia will kill oocysts that cause cocci, but bleach won't, which most folks don't know.

Ventilation is just high up on the wall openings, covered with hardware cloth, and preferably with hinged covers for winter, though you never want to completely close off any vents, even in winter or you'll have a serious ammonia and frostbite issue with excess moisture buildup.

Quote:
I'm a newbie, and just ran across the Ten Commandments while searching the site for guidance as to what I should do with my Polish that seems to be developing outward signs of his previously latent roo-ishness. This chicken was sick with pneumonia (I think) the first week I had it, after I bought it on a windy day from a booth at an Urban Homesteading event. I coaxed him through his illness with forced fluids and yogurt, and with antibiotic.

Now I'm wondering: can I, in good conscience, re-home this bird who was ill, and has fully recovered?

Back
Top Bottom