Speckledhen's Ten Commandments of Good Flock Management

1st time chicken How do you check over your birds? Mine like to sit on my lap but don’t like me trying to look under their wings or at their vent, my boys look especially perturbed :lol:

1st time chicken How do you check over your birds? Mine like to sit on my lap but don’t like me trying to look under their wings or at their vent, my boys look especially perturbed :lol:
With mine, they aren't very tame, and I mostly only handle them when I really need to, which does make it a bit harder!
To carry them, I tuck the chicken under my arm, with the head sticking out the back, and my hand running down the front of the bird and then taking a firm grip of their legs.
To inspect them, I do the same thing, but sitting down, and might have them sitting on my lap a bit more, but with the legs out the back and off the ground, and always keeping a firm hold on them.
If you control the legs of a chicken, you are controlling the whole bird except the wings, and once they settle down any flapping will stop.

With mine, they aren't very tame, and I mostly only handle them when I really need to, which does make it a bit harder!
To carry them, I tuck the chicken under my arm, with the head sticking out the back, and my hand running down the front of the bird and then taking a firm grip of their legs.
To inspect them, I do the same thing, but sitting down, and might have them sitting on my lap a bit more, but with the legs out the back and off the ground, and always keeping a firm hold on them.
If you control the legs of a chicken, you are controlling the whole bird except the wings, and once they settle down any flapping will stop.
Thank you so much I will try that

Here is a link to show how to properly hold a chicken. Watch it, and in the beginning, you may want to practice daily for a few days. This trains both you, and your chickens. After that, you should be holding, and checking your chickens over at least once a week.

Hold them like this to carry them to where you can sit, and set them in your lap to trim spurs, and toenails, do any doctoring, etc. OR one person can hold them, while the other does the spurs, etc.

Don't forget to talk to them, or gently pet them to calm them down, if/when needed.

Last edited:
Here is a link to show how to properly hold a chicken. Watch it, and in the beginning, you may want to practice daily for a few days. This trains both you, and your chickens. After that, you should be holding, and checking your chickens over at least once a week.

Hold them like this to carry them to where you can sit, and set them in your lap to trim spurs, and toenails, do any doctoring, etc. OR one person can hold them, while the other does the spurs, etc.

Don't forget to talk to them, or gently pet them to calm them down, if/when needed.
This is exactly how I do it, although I tend to make sure the head stays to the back, poking out behind me, as I have really found this helps to calm them down.
(unless I am actually inspecting the head, of course)
I am glad I found the right myself!

Fantastic! Thank you so much for the video

Wow. I had no idea. I've been doing it all wrong. :) It seems that if you hold them the other way and press up on the breastbone they calm way down. But not as placidly as this! Thank you.

I'm sure there are many articles in here, but what do you check every week then (pests I'm sure, anything else?) tia.

I check their weight by how sharp the keel bone is and if the abdomen is bloated first. Also, I check to make sure the crop is not impacted or gassy. I check under the wings for wounds as well since I have several roosters in one of my groups and two are quite young so there is a lot of competition-I've had injured hens we had to sew up in the past, but that's pretty rare. Of course, pests on the tush and the neck go without saying, really.

I check their weight by how sharp the keel bone is and if the abdomen is bloated first. Also, I check to make sure the crop is not impacted or gassy. I check under the wings for wounds as well since I have several roosters in one of my groups and two are quite young so there is a lot of competition-I've had injured hens we had to sew up in the past, but that's pretty rare. Of course, pests on the tush and the neck go without saying, really.
Quick question, molting chicken here, but whats up with the white? Like the ink jet faulted!
IMG_6735.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom