Speckledhen's Ten Commandments of Good Flock Management

Pics
There is only one respiratory issue that I will treat for, and it's only if I can determine that it is indeed that issue-that is situational pneumonia. That means it's not contagious and for some reason, a spore or bacteria set up housekeeping in one bird's lungs and caused pneumonia in that bird. Have had that happen just one time in six years and the situation made it quite clear that is was pneumonia, not some contagious respiratory illness.

Not sure why someone brought up a very old post in this thread, but I've said over and over again that I am not telling anyone what to do with their flock--a reminder here that this is my summary of my own flock management system that has worked for me for years. Do with it as you will. It works as well as you can reasonably expect it would. If you are okay with treating illness upon illness of carrier flocks, it's not my concern. That is your beeswax. It only becomes my concern when someone sells a bird who is carrying a virus or bacterial illness to another BYC member and we catch the dispute here or if I were to purchase a bird from someone else (which I do not do) and it brings disease onto my property and into my previously healthy flock.

Ok, the cull part is really hard for me.
th.gif
What is the chance of a carrier infecting another bird? I agree, great rules, though!
thumbsup.gif

Last edited:
No one said it was easy. I know how hard this is, believe me.

Any stress will bring out symptoms in a carrier bird. To answer your question, it's almost guaranteed that a carrier bird will infect another at some point in time.

Quote:
Wait....... I thought that if you noticed yur bird sick, you would kill it and throw it in a 6 foot hole or something. I thought that you couldn't eat a sick chicken because you would get sick yourself. ???????
idunno.gif
hu.gif

Quote:
Wait....... I thought that if you noticed yur bird sick, you would kill it and throw it in a 6 foot hole or something. I thought that you couldn't eat a sick chicken because you would get sick yourself. ???????
idunno.gif
hu.gif

I never said anything about a 6 ft hole. I don't eat my chickens that are healthy, so no way would I eat one who died from some illness, but that's just me. That doesn't mean someone else can't do it if they want to, but I wouldn't do it, personally. I never said you would get sick if you ate a chicken that died of respiratory illness. You must have me confused with someone else.

Back
Top Bottom