speckles where there shouldn't be any...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by hensandchickscolorado, Jan 13, 2012.

1. hensandchickscolorado

hensandchickscolorado Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    Englewood Colorado
    So I have a barred rock who has been laying lovely brown eggs since November or so. Today I gathered her egg and it was the same usual color...but with an abundances of purple spots all over. Yes, I said purple! I washed the egg to see if they'd come off, and they got more pronounced and kind of brown. It doesn't seem like the usual change in spots I see in my welsummer's eggs. I realize eggs change shades often...but purple spots??? Should I worry?

The picture is of the spotted egg and one of her regular eggs...both shiny because I washed them![​IMG]

2. BantamoftheOpera

BantamoftheOpera Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2010
    Southern Maine
    My barred rock lays a similar egg from time to time.

3. Nonny

Nonny Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    My Australorps usually lay nice beige eggs, but quite often we get some lovely speckled ones, and the speckles can be anywhere form white, to pink, to brown to purple. It's just "one of those things" I think, and nothing to be concerned about. Variations of normal. [​IMG]

4. Nonny

Nonny Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Here's three of mine from this week. The girls "normal" egg colours is plain tan.

[​IMG]

5. littleflocker

littleflocker Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2011
    Island County WA
    Speckled eggs are my favorite![​IMG]

6. mariel37

mariel37 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    Ocala
    We have two buff orpingtons and a golden wyandotte who lay tan eggs - about half the time we get the beautiful speckles like the picture you posted, but I don't know which one is doing it.

I wouldn't worry about it - enjoy the artwork! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by