Spending time in the coop over the run

Jlgonzo

Chirping
Nov 2, 2018
North Alabama
In our coop and run we have sand on the floor. The run has a roof over it. Our chickens only have access to the coop and the run as we have way too many predators to let them free range although we wish they could.
We have an automatic door that lets the chickens go out into the run in the morning that also closes at night. I go over there not long after it opens an clean the dropping board and other areas in the coop. I then go into the run and make sure there is enough
0B3EB826-55E4-4B2E-A824-FFECB975553C.jpeg
17B33513-827E-4BB7-846A-0B99E9461CED.jpeg
3C09B352-5643-450E-A356-13654D51D0AC.jpeg
14E7493C-BCCC-4E85-B6FA-A3B16BE1BE28.jpeg
ACF5A2E4-4B6F-47E0-A6B9-5645DEDB877A.jpeg
food, water, grit and oyster shells. I come back mid morning to get the couple of eggs. We have eight chickens but only 2 or 3 are laying as they are just 20 weeks. I also go back a few more times and one toward the end of the day. We are in north Alabama so the weather is fairly nice and not too cold.
When I am in the run, all the chickens come out or are out there in the early morning and late afternoon but in the middle of the day they tend to stay in the coop where there is a lot less room. Is that normal? Should we add more things to the run?

They may feel safer in the coop so prefer to lounge inside.
I wouldn't worry about it.
Any chance predators may be lurking around?

We know we have all kinds of predators (Fox, owls, hawks, raccoons, coyotes, and recently a bobcat) around but our run is predator proof and we don’t see any signs of predators trying to get in. We don’t see the predators around the chicken coop but signs of their droppings. The predators are to great for us to let them free range, but we are trying to figure out a way or a safe structure to give them access to the yard while we are watching.

and we don’t see any signs of predators trying to get in. We don’t see the predators around the chicken coop but signs of their droppings.
Just a predator lurking around, not necessarily trying to get in, might send them to the safer(to them) coop. I know when hawks cruise my run, the birds take cover, either under the coop or inside of it.

Mine did this when younger and through warmer months. I am tarped for winter and they stay outside now at 24 weeks and love the outdoor roosts. They go in at night but sometimes now have to pull off outdoor roosts and put in the coop at night once all on the roost at night and at 30 degrees or below.

Put some more roosts in the run. View attachment 1603417. Also put up some wind breaks. I used tarps as a wind break. But only half way up. A strong breeze will send them to the coop. View attachment 1603418. GC

Thanks. We have thought about a sun screen for a section during the summer. We can make it a combination sun and wind screen. Our winds tend to come from the same direction as the sun.

Back
Top Bottom