Spending too much time together?

wbruder17

Songster
9 Years
Jun 7, 2010
Portland, OR
I have 5 "laying breed" chickens that I bought all at the same time, and 4 other "novelty" breeds that I got at a few different times and places. 2 of the "layers", who are about 6 months old now, are the only ones laying.

I confess, I have had a lot of extra time on my hands lately, and the chickens are my new hobby, so I spend an AWFUL lot of time back there. Hanging out, cleaning, rearranging their roosting bars, feeding them treats, etc. They have a large outdoor enclosure as well as a big actual coop. They have 3 nesting boxes so far, and the 2 layers use the same one, sometimes at the same time.

Am I spending too much time back there? Thus stopping the other girls from laying? Maybe they are not comfortable or private enough? Any advice would be lovely.

Thanks

I don't have the answer, but I would love to know the answer. I spent over an hour twice watching the chickens in their coop
today. My egg count was down by about 25%

Your presence is not stopping them from laying. They will start once they are mature enough. The shortening day length is impeding egg production. Continue to enjoy your birds.

Back
Top Bottom