Spider webs

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Whispering Winds, Sep 17, 2009.

1. Whispering Winds

Whispering Winds Chillin' With My Peeps

Have you noticed the spider webs this year? We had one outside on the way to the alpaca pen that was 20 feet long. Poor Spider went from the ground all the way up to a limb of the maple tree. It was beautiful, and one mowing took care of the web from the ground up. It is still there partially, but the spider is way up high now. I also had one build one on each side of my side mirrors on my car. TALK about a ride!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! [​IMG]

2. TM Chickens

TM Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2008
    Alabama
    Wheeeeeee! [​IMG]

3. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Yeah..ALOT of spiders this year! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Its supposed to mean something with the weather..or something...

Last edited: Sep 17, 2009
  4. thebritt

thebritt Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2009
    Humboldt County
    I LOVE spider webs (and their creators). We have a "pumpkin spider" season here, and the webs are perfect - the spiders are beautiful (can google to see for yourself). We also have a spider colony I haven't identified that builds "condos" in our Dougfir tree. In the morning, when the sun shines on the dewey webs, it's just incredible and photo-worthy. If I only had a functional camera and a clue as to how to post it, I'd share! [​IMG]

5. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    We've made it a point each night to see where our resident spider, Charlotte, has built her web in the front yard.
    Her webs are always interesting, but the distance of the anchor strands from one point to another is what always amazes us. Furthest distance? More than 45 ft.! From the elm tree in the front yard ABOVE the power line that leads into the house to the pecan tree on the side of the yard.

There are several spiders like her - orb weavers - in our yard this year, not to mention the ones in the garden and around the chicken coop.

It's gonna be a hard winter. [​IMG]

6. Southernbelle

Southernbelle Gone Broody

Mar 17, 2008
    Virginia
    Tons of orb weavers around here, too. Walking into their webs always gives me a start!

7. Eggs4Sale

Eggs4Sale Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2009
    That's weird because I've found three black widows in the last two weeks when I usually find none. Maybe I'm lurking around in the dark too much.

8. LegHorn-BusHorn

LegHorn-BusHorn Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    Near STL mo
    Tons of webs around here, and it does seem to be more this year. Don't know maybe it does have something to do with weather? Everytime I walk out, I have to bring a stick. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by