1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

spitting up water??

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Shortstuff112, Mar 19, 2013.

1. Shortstuff112

Shortstuff112 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2012
    Maryland
    When one of my hens drinks water she sometimes spits it up. Why is she doing this and how can I help her?

2. JHorn91180

JHorn91180 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2011
    Northeast KY
    It depends. Does she have access to fresh water 24/7? Some chickens if allowed to run out of water will over drink when they receive water again resulting in the crawl becoming full of water and a sort of vomiting reflex where they will spit up water for a short time period after.

3. missnu01

missnu01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2012
    yep...I've gotten lazy a few times and not been up there to give the chickens fresh thawed water in winter on time, and when they do get some one of the hens will like try to drink the whole bowl and then she'll spit up water all over the place...Never seems to cause any other issue, and nobody is sick... Now it's warm so I just have to go up whenever and make sure the thing is full...No more frozen water for a few months. Hooray!
    Also if a chicken has recently taken a drink and you pick it up it is likely to spit up water then too...same with ducks...picked a duckling up while it was at the waterer the other day not thinking about it and it spit up water all over me...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by