Splash Ameraucana Chicks question

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by MissD'uccle, Sep 17, 2010.

1. MissD'uccle

MissD'uccle Cluck of My Life

Dec 16, 2009
    Elba Twp, MI
    Ok I've heard that splash Ameraucanas can be somewhat "sexed" by the color of their feathers. I.E. I've heard that males will be darker in coloring than females. I have one splash hen and she was white all the way through till she matured and now has ONE gray feather. I also have a splash chick that is about six weeks old and he/she is very "dirty" (white with lots of gray and blue). Is this an old wives' tale or has anyone found this to be GENERALLY true? Thanks!

2. Cloverleaf Farm

Cloverleaf Farm Bearded Birds are Best

Sep 16, 2008
    Levan, UT
    No, and actually, from what I've read, that's why the APA won't recognize "splash" as a variety, because there's no rhyme or reason to how the patterns come out...

3. TK Poultry

TK Poultry Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    Greencastle, Indiana
    Thats true, but I don't understand that competely because Mottled birds aren't all mottled the same. Spangled birds aren't always patterned the same. They breed true more than 50% of the time. I don't see why there arn't many breeds that accept the splash coloring I only know of one off the top of my head and that is the silkie and mayb oegb but thats it.

to the OP I don't think that is true. I also have read you tie like a nail or something to a string and if you circles around their head then they are female and if it goes back and forth its male

or if you flip them upside down pullets will always instantly fly back up and cockerels will hang there. I've tryed this method and seems to be correct.

4. HBuehler

HBuehler Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2009
    Lebanon TN
    No you can't tell by feather color..if you breed splash to splash too much you will end up with little to no color no matter the sex of the bird.The best way to keep the color is not to breed splash to splash or if you do only one generation before crossing it back to color...black or blue.
    They are not a recognized Ameraucana color but are the result of blue to blue crossing and they do breed true unlike an EE which doesn't have any rhyme or reason to the coloring and never know what will pop out.With a splash Ameraucana you know what will come out..as long as you know the blue genetics rules [​IMG]

5. MissD'uccle

MissD'uccle Cluck of My Life

Dec 16, 2009
    Elba Twp, MI
    Thanks all! Very useful information. I have a B/B/S pen of Ameraucana and was really just curious as I have just started this year with some quality birds [​IMG] I have a blue roo over black, blue and splash hens and don't plan on doing anything specifically for the splash color as I'm partial to the blue anyways (but I do like a little variety!)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by