1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login, otherwise join BYC here!

Splash ameraucana over lavender ameraucana

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by wendychicklawyr, Dec 29, 2015.

1. wendychicklawyr

wendychicklawyr Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2013
    What colors will I get?

2. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

Splash x Lavender will produce all Blue offspring, split for Lavender (breed offspring back to Lav and you'll get 75% Lav, or you can do offspring x offspring and you'll get 25% Lav).

3. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Yes, blue. Lavender is a recessive gene that modified black, so the base color of the Lavender is black, but since there will only be one lavender gene at that gene pair you will not see any effect from the Lavender.

The “Blue” gene also modifies black. So a splash chicken will have a black base if it is solid splash. The Blue gene is kind of funny. Two copies at that gene pair will give you splash, one copy gives you blue, and no copies does not modify anything because it is not there so you default to black.

So you get black from both parents and one blue gene from the splash, so you get Blue from a Splash/Lavender cross.

I have no idea what you would get if you cross them back to a Lavender and get some chicks pure for Lavender and split for blue.

4. wendychicklawyr

wendychicklawyr Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2013
    awesome guys thx! I got an incubator for Christmas!! [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

5. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Just a word of warning, you can have second generation birds that are both Blue/Splash and Lavender, but the dominant BBS gene will override the Lavender. It will be impossible to tell which birds are carrying which genes. This is why it's best not to mix the two varieties.

6. keesmom

keesmom Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    X 2. A bird can be BOTH splash/blue and lavender. Blue and lavender are both diluters of black (lavender also dilutes red), and the presence of one does not inhibit the other. It can be very difficult to distinguish which birds have which genes.

7. Shaffer

Shaffer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2008
    Tamaqua, NE Pa
    Go to the two club sites this pairing I believe has been talked about in some extent.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by