Splayed leg advice

Burlap cloth from JoAnns Fabric store and cheap too. I roll out burlap and use it the first 3 days on newly hatched chicks and you will never have splayed legs, I have had them hatch and be splayed and within an hour they are walking fine usually. Their toe nails catch just enough to give them good solid traction and they straighten right up. You can wash burlap too if you want. Works great and chicks like the feel of it too. My brooder is exactly wide enough for the size I buy it fits perfectly on floor and heat lamp makes it nice and warm too.

dont just kill them straight away! its not unheard of in turkeys for it to be easyly fixed by holding each leg to the side of your finger and press in with slight force... hold it like this for around 5 minets and this can work! but it has to be done shortly after hatching

Hi
My name is Liz. I have 2 chickens that cant walk. Splayed legs....One is 7 days old (scooter walk) and the other is 2days old. (squats and wont stand up)
The 7 day old chick I have tired band aids, donut and cup method and nothing works.
The 2 day old, when I put the bandaid he walks worst. I put him in cup and he doesnt really move around. I also tried making braces with wire like pipe cleaners and he falls over...Im not sure what to do. Can you help?

please....

My one week old chick has the same leg problem ... not splayed out but sort of tucked up high. When s/he tries to walk the legs almost come up over top of the wings. Just today I tried the Band-Aid method used for splayed legs but wondering if that method will work for this sort of problem. BTW ... what is it called if it's not splayed legs? Cheers!

My one week old chick has the same leg problem ... not splayed out but sort of tucked up high. When s/he tries to walk the legs almost come up over top of the wings. Just today I tried the Band-Aid method used for splayed legs but wondering if that method will work for this sort of problem. BTW ... what is it called if it's not splayed legs? Cheers!
I've just read about using a cup and will give it a try ... are the legs still hobbled while in the cup? This was a chick that was hatched in a kindergarten room and I brought this chick home along with another one that's feet appear to be mummifying and will most likely come off at some point. I didn't want them being handled by the kids while they are in a compromised state but I don't have the heart to anything less than all possible to give them a fighting chance at a reasonably comfortable life. Hope I am not in for heartache.

Is the chick in the cardboard tube able to reach the ground? I am trying to rehabilitate a week old chick with a leg problem and have resorted to a cup but not exactly sure if I am doing it correctly. The link earlier on in the thread does not work right now. Thanks,

I'd like to know too, if the chick in the cardboard tube is able to put any weight on its legs or should it be fully suspended?
My chick is a week old and I noticed two days ago that her leg is laying out back of its body - not splayed to the side. I'm wondering if she might have been trampled by more aggressive chicks and gotten injured. Toes are wanting to curl now, I think because she's not using them. I hold her up and put her legs under her, feet flat and hold her while she eats or drinks. But when I'm not home during the day I know she's dragging herself around, pulling with the good leg.
I tried the vet wrap to bring her legs together and forward but I couldn't leave her like that when I'm not home and my husband is not the most attentive. So, my question would be: should I re-wrap her legs, make sandals for her feet, and prop her in a cardboard tube for a few days?

Back
Top Bottom