1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

splayed leg and hocks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Hennyhandler, Dec 14, 2012.

1. Hennyhandler

Hennyhandler SilkieJax

Jun 10, 2009
    Cullman
    I have two chicks that have displayed the beginning of splayed leg. I jumped on it because I had another like this that was too far gone. I used the rubberband method so they can actually move each leg. One is looking real good but she only displayed splay leg. The other I think is still classified as splay leg but she is walking on her hocks. They lay outside of her body a tad I do believe but the problem mainly is that she is wont get up and actually walk. I can keep her legs together all day long but that isn't going to stop her from using her whole leg to walk on.
    I thought about wrapping like a bandaid around the leg to provide stiffness. Like from the very top of the leg all the way to the ankle so she cant bend the hock down like the heel of a foot. I hope this makes sense. Please tell me what you think. I want to be proactive since it is hard to fix this later but I don't want to do so much stuff that it makes the situation worse or gets her worn down. She is so young and gets overwhelmed you know?

2. RonC

RonC Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2012
    D/FW

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by