Splayed leg in baby chick???

bclark7679

Chirping
6 Years
Mar 27, 2014
I have a three year old baby chick I got from my local feed store along with others. One of her legs seem to be limp like. Could it be splayed leg? I did the bandaid method but she is sitting on her hocks instead of standing. Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you.

Do you mean 3 day old chick? It sounds like an injury from being stepped on or it could be a slipped tendon or leg bone deformity. Google chicken chairs and slings for pictures on how to make a device to get her upright, and in front of a little cup of food and water. Start some chick vitamins in her water or give Poultry Cell a few drops a day orally. it must contain riboflavin and NutriDrench does not. Pictures can help.

Sitting on their hocks can be a sign of general weakness or illness as they don't have the strength to stand. I would recommend vitamins, sugar water, hand feeding if necessary to make sure she gets enough energy. She might get stronger in time or it could be a more serious underlying problem.

Y
IMG_0030.JPG
IMG_0031.JPG

This is the baby chick.

I am so sorry that you lost her. Many times chicks will suffer shipping stress, even from feed stores, and by the time they show signs, it may be too late to help them. I hope your other chicks do well.

Back
Top Bottom