Splayed leg in older chicken

Edurst

In the Brooder
Jul 16, 2021
I was given a 9 week old chicken with a splayed leg. Previous owner had tried taping legs when it was younger but gave up when it kept chewing tape off. Has anyone had luck fixing a splayed leg on an older chicken? Or has anyone been able to keep one with this issue and still give it a good life? She's still eating and drinking and managing to move around. If I can't fix the leg I was going to make her her own small run with low coop to get in and out of.

Attachments

• 20210715_085103.jpg
    20210715_085103.jpg
    365.3 KB · Views: 77
She may be suffering from a leg bone deformity, hard to really tell.
If she were to stand up, is the leg twisted or is the joint pointing outward?

Vitamins that contain B2 (Riboflavin) wouldn't hurt. You can give her 1/4 tablet B-Complex once a day for a few weeks.

She may be suffering from a leg bone deformity, hard to really tell.
If she were to stand up, is the leg twisted or is the joint pointing outward?

Vitamins that contain B2 (Riboflavin) wouldn't hurt. You can give her 1/4 tablet B-Complex once a day for a few weeks.
I'm not good at telling...sadly no vets in the area really seemed to want to help. When she sits its definitely pointed outward. One toe started to curl but water seemed to help. Tried making a bigger hobble but failed miserably. I'll check out B-complex and check to see if B2 is in water. Thanks for your help!!

THanks for recommendation of extra vitamins (vit B) in water. Will try with my 6 week old chick who seems to have developed splayed leg overnight, which is puzzling me how!

THanks for recommendation of extra vitamins (vit B) in water. Will try with my 6 week old chick who seems to have developed splayed leg overnight, which is puzzling me how!
Do you have any photos you wish to share?

It's odd for one that old to develop splayed leg overnight. Do you feel any swelling of joints or are the joints turned at all?

My splayed leg chicken is doing fine.

She displayed the splay at about 6 weeks and it was both legs.
I did everything including the elastic circles with a short piece of drinking straw between and minerals in the water etc.

One leg healed but the other leg was hopeless and dragging her down.

One day she got caught between a board and the chicken wire of the run with the bad leg against the wire.

A squirrel chewed off her bad leg. I was certain she would die but gave her antibiotic in water and hand fed her.

She recovered and it is now 5 months later and she hops around with the other hens. She never got very big - about half size. She will always be the bottom of the pecking order but the other hens don't pick on her.

Good luck.

Wow she’s even the same color as my splay leg baby, I’m not quite sure how to help a fully grown chicken but what I did what mine was a chick was I got a small rubber band to hold her legs closer together so while she finished growing her leg grew in the correct way rather then out

Back
Top Bottom