Splayed leg

SnazzyJazzy

In the Brooder
Sep 14, 2015
I have a chick who hatched out Sunday and has one leg that slightly splays out, so it's just not under its body. It can get around, but obviously struggles. I tried hobbling with a bandaid but within a few hours the little booger has gotten a foot loose. It's miserable with the hobbles, but I know overall it's for the best. I have some vet wrap (thanks to an accident prone horse) I'll try next, but how long should it stay in the hobbles and what do I do if it won't keep them on?

I've doctored a few chicks with splayed legs. If they're strong they'll pull through it! Keep the hobbles loose (don't sinch legs too close together, give them a little 'straddle' spacing), and keep the hobble strip thin. This is what's worked for me. Bandaids have worked well, but now I just use clear packaging tape cause that's what I have on hand all the time. I haven't seen a chick take more than 5 days to decide if it's going to heal or pass. The falling and struggling is good for the chick. It needs to build muscles, just like pushing and straining to get out of the egg produces a healthy, strong chick. Just make sure the little guy doesn't get trampled and give it some extra one-on-one feed/drink time, maybe some electrolytes. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom