splayed leg

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by sog1997, Jul 4, 2011.

1. sog1997

sog1997 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 23, 2010
    I have a 3 week old chick with one leg that is going out to the side when she walks. As a result she is quite clumsy when running. We tried to brace her legs last week without success. Our failure not hers. My question is, if she is eating and drinking, running and jumping with the rest of the chicks, is there a reason she should be destroyed? She seems to be growing right along with the others, a bit skinnier. Never experienced this before and unsure how to proceed. Any comments are appreciated.

2. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    I would not cull for a bum leg-I would, however, get some vet wrap and try to strengthen it... Maybe a pulled/torn ligament? The minute I realize that the bird cannot eat drink and walk all on its own ( after doing as much as I can do) I cull:( It's not fair to watch a bird slowly go downhill hoping it will get better. I have a bird that walks sideways because of something? that happened to her leg when she was younger-She's been doing it for over a year now and is healthy as a horse-watching her run makes me laugh!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by