Splayed Legs in Duckling

Quack head

Songster
Jun 20, 2019
Sparta, TN
As most of you know by now, this is my first year raising Appleyards. Also, my first year trying to raise ducklings. This morning I had two new ducklings, one has splayed legs, the duckling seems to get around. I have moved them from the incubator into the brooder. I mixed brewer yeast in their food and put a few drops of "B" vitamin in the water.

Any other suggestions?

I had a duckling on saturday that looked like it landed on it's butt and it's legs were spread as far apart as they could be.
Can't tell which one it is now, they're all fine. Just wet ground up duck starter.

Post a picture please might need a hobble for a day or two.
It seems like the duckling corrected it's splayed legs itself, it is moving around the brooder fine it seems. This is my first year hatching eggs in an incubator and I am amazed how fast ducklings grow. I am attaching a pic of 2 day old vs 2 week old ducklings. I am taking the 2 week old ducklings into a kitty pool with a few inches of water, them seem to enjoy it. Although the do not enjoy being dried off afterwords.

2 days vs 2 weeks_1890.JPG

It seems like the duckling corrected it's splayed legs itself, it is moving around the brooder fine it seems. This is my first year hatching eggs in an incubator and I am amazed how fast ducklings grow. I am attaching a pic of 2 day old vs 2 week old ducklings. I am taking the 2 week old ducklings into a kitty pool with a few inches of water, them seem to enjoy it. Although the do not enjoy being dried off afterwords.

View attachment 2244432
Lovely ducklings ! :love

View attachment 2244432
That’s great it’s legs are good now. Sometimes time sometimes hobble just depends! They sure do grow fast it’s amazing. And so precious too!

I was thinking of moving the larger three ducks to the divided duck house. It has been extremely worm in Middle Tennessee so the weather doesn't seem to be a factor. I installed hardware cloth between them and the adult ducks for safety. Currently they are three weeks old and has outgrown their brooder.

Any suggestions?

Back
Top Bottom