Splayed legs?

RidgeviewChick

In the Brooder
Jun 18, 2016
I have one baby chick which seems to have splayed legs. What do you think? Is there any way to fix it? I put some vitamins in the water hoping that will help. It seems to be having trouble walking and standing which is what caught my attention.

Last edited:
[/IMG]

Do the bandaid splint thing, lots of electrolytes/vitamins, and hope for the best. Search for either one of those on the top of the page and you'll get plenty of good threads.

The earlier the better for treatment. Sometimes they recover like it never happened, other times not so much.

Good luck.

Get a 3 inch piece of Elastoplast. Put the sticky part around one knee and then the other knee
and it will be ok in 3 days. It's quite tricky to do on your own. Nothing to do with vitamins it's just the way some of them hatch. I have seen them come right on their own without any assistance
but I always use the elastoplast method. Bill

Get a 3 inch piece of Elastoplast. Put the sticky part around one knee and then the other knee
and it will be ok in 3 days. It's quite tricky to do on your own. Nothing to do with vitamins it's just the way some of them hatch. I have seen them come right on their own without any assistance
but I always use the elastoplast method. Bill

In my experience, vitamins actually have a lot to do with it.

It may not be a deficiency that is causing the issue, but by hobbling the chick (for their benefit), it adds further stress that they have to cope with in addition to trying to double their size in a week. The vitamins also give a boost and help them catch up any lost time from being stuck to the floor and not getting food and water.

And, sometimes it is a deficiency which they can resolve quicker with vitamins. Sometimes it resolves itself, but what does it hurt to help them out?

Good luck.

Give her Enfamil it works wonderfully might only find it on Amazon though. Use the dropper thing that comes with it to but it in her beak or I think you can I it with her water

Back
Top Bottom