casportpony

🦚🦆🦃🐔
BYC Staff
Project Manager
Premium Feather Member
11 Years
Jun 24, 2012
The Golden State
Today I was a little surprised to find two white poults in the incubator, so I guess that means that the parents are split-to-white? In peafowl, a split-to-white bird always has at least one white flight feather. Is there no way to tell if a turkey is split to white?

Today I was a little surprised to find two white poults in the incubator, so I guess that means that the parents are split-to-white? In peafowl, a split-to-white bird always has at least one white flight feather. Is there no way to tell if a turkey is split to white?
Your poults may not be white as adults. If some of those eggs are from your "Sweetgrass" hen, she may be a Calico.

I crossed a BBW hen with a Bourbon Red tom. The offspring was obviously split to white and did not have any white feathers. He was a Red Bronze.

Your poults may not be white as adults. If some of those eggs are from your "Sweetgrass" hen, she may be a Calico.
Thanks. Since I collected the eggs from just two spots and never saw the sweetgrass hen near the nests, I don't think any are hers.
I crossed a BBW hen with a Bourbon Red tom. The offspring was obviously split to white and did not have any white feathers. He was a Red Bronze.
How was it obvious?

Are those poults yellow, or orange?
Bronze-based and black-based white look more orange than yellow.
Purely yellow poults are black-winged bronze-based.
They can develop multiple different phenotypes (blue, red,...).

Bronze-based white:
1711973078118.png

Black-based white:
1711973114116.png

Black-Winged Bronze (incl. modifiers) - not necessarily white:
1711973195321.png

I started working on an overview page where one can see the different colors at different stages (Variety Overview).

Back
Top Bottom