Splitting the flock

calboy147

Songster
5 Years
Jul 17, 2017
I have 2 roosters that get along very well and 14 hens. I have decided i no longer want chicks from the older rooster but do not intend to get rid of him as he is an amazing flock rooster. His progeny however is bigger and prettier in my opinion. And so far, much more docile around me.
my intentions at this point are to build another larger coop and split the flock roughly in two. They have pretty much divided themselves already when they are free ranging, but roost together.
I will be taking a few hens away from pops and giving them to his son and taking two from the son and giving them to pops.
I am concerned about any possible conflict this could cause as they will be housed separately. I was considering the notion of alternating their days free ranging to prevent any gang related violence, but would like to propose an alternative solution to you experts in the chicken realm.
I have a wire cage with 1'x2' openings that i put in my coop as a brooder when i have incubator hatched chicks. 99% of the time the chicks can escape the murderous attacks long enough for the flock to acclimate to the new members.
So, if i build a larger coop to house everybody but put a wire divider wall across the middle, would it be possible or hopefully probable they will still maintain that one flock continuity? I think i would still alternate yard days though. I just want to keep everybody on speaking terms in case i need to make any other adjustments in the flock.

I have decided i no longer want chicks from the older rooster
my intentions at this point are to build another larger coop and split the flock roughly in two. They have pretty much divided themselves already when they are free ranging, but roost together.
If you want to control which rooster is the daddy you have to keep them separated 24/7. Neither hens nor roosters are loyal to their rooster or hen. No free ranging together, no roosting together. If they have the chance the hens will decide which rooster they want to flock with.

if i build a larger coop to house everybody but put a wire divider wall across the middle, would it be possible or hopefully probable they will still maintain that one flock continuity? I think i would still alternate yard days though. I just want to keep everybody on speaking terms in case i need to make any other adjustments in the flock.
You never know how living animals will behave. You just never know for sure what will happen. It's not just in the coop either, daytime counts. You probably just didn't mention it, but I'd have a run where they can see each other during daytime also. This is probably the best you can do. My biggest worry would be the two roosters fighting if you separate them and then put them back together. I would not worry that much about the hens.

How often do you plan to hatch eggs? An alternative would be to build things as you mentioned but only house the birds separately during breeding season. You need to keep the hens separated from the rooster you do not want to be the father for 3 to 4 weeks, they can store sperm that long. It would probably take four or five days for the rooster you want to fertilize all the hens so you have some options on how you manage the rooster. Some breeders use a version of this.

This sounds like a decent plan. Either one could work, whichever is more convenient for you. Since you want to hatch chicks an extra coop or larger coop could come in handy. If it doesn't work out you'll have the facilities that you can separate them if you need to.

If you want to control which rooster is the daddy you have to keep them separated 24/7. Neither hens nor roosters are loyal to their rooster or hen. No free ranging together, no roosting together. If they have the chance the hens will decide which rooster they want to flock with.
This is my plan. I will rotate the free ranging flocks to every other day, I really do not intend to raise a bunch of chicks right now because my wife is adamant in her refusal to allow me to cull some of the older hens we have acquired. My only concern at first will be if they are separated every day will they fight if i have to , for what ever reason allow them back together. Currently i only have 2 hens that want to start crap with the other hens. One even starts fights with one of my roosters. lol And i love watching her when she does.

Back
Top Bottom