Splitting the flock.

Hairydadrock

Chirping
Sep 10, 2021
Huddersfield,england
I currently have 5 bantams,2 silkies,2 polish and a pekins, I also have 5 big birds aswell.I have been thinking wintertime,so here in the UK it's not as cold as you guys have it in the US but its very wet.i have a covered outdoor dog shelter with coop inside in the main run area,currently its open to everyone.i was going to put the bantams in there soon for the winter,question is, would this affect the pecking order dynamic.They can see each other constantly and all get on very well at the moment, what do you think?

I currently have 5 bantams,2 silkies,2 polish and a pekins, I also have 5 big birds aswell.I have been thinking wintertime,so here in the UK it's not as cold as you guys have it in the US but its very wet.i have a covered outdoor dog shelter with coop inside in the main run area,currently its open to everyone.i was going to put the bantams in there soon for the winter,question is, would this affect the pecking order dynamic.They can see each other constantly and all get on very well at the moment, what do you think?

If what you've got it working now I would be leery of disrupting it.

Could you show us photos of the setup you have and the changes you're thinking of making?

Can't do the photos now but the run area is about 10 mtrs by 4 mtrs,two coops one in the dog shelter which is in the 10 by 3 and one outside,shelter is available for the big girls.I use the other coop and dog shelter for integrating but mostly it's open for all on a daily basis.if I do put them in there they will be face to face but under permanent cover during the winter.

Back
Top Bottom