Spoiled much?

Abetheroo

Chirping
Aug 29, 2020
Although my girls are free fed with their crumble, they stand outside the door waiting for some scratch. I mix some millet, oats and shelled sunflower seeds for them. Most time it's just millet and I toss handfuls out to them several times a day. Soon as I walk out on my porch, they start their cackling at me. How do you spoil your babies?

Attachments

• 20210728_105202.jpg
    20210728_105202.jpg
    507.6 KB · Views: 11
I mainly give veggies and fruits as treats, some quinoa to encourage them to scratch in areas I want them to work, lol. I got chickens to work in the garden and compost, but I love thier goofy "personalities". My husband gave them plums on the front porch one time, now they all hang out there waiting for it happen again 😆

I mainly give veggies and fruits as treats, some quinoa to encourage them to scratch in areas I want them to work, lol. I got chickens to work in the garden and compost, but I love thier goofy "personalities". My husband gave them plums on the front porch one time, now they all hang out there waiting for it happen again 😆
Love it! Mine love getting veggies too. Cucumbers, zucchini, squash, lettuce. I had some chicken in the freezer that had freezer burn on it, so I boiled it and mixed with some cooked rice and they were in heaven.

Our flock is pretty spoiled. Our son grew up with chickens and enjoys sitting in a backyard chair with treats while getting covered in chickens. Anyone who sits in that chair better not have a fear of birds!
IMG_7245 (2).jpg
DS initially trained a couple different chickens for his 4H project but Styx was the best candidate. The 2 orps were slow to pick up on new things (and kept trying to just eat the food or peck at the clicker). The Leghorn was ok but would freeze up or get distracted easily. Our serama Popcorn was by far the smartest..... but she couldn't peck hard enough to work the keyboard. I know he'd love to get some views and likes. He ended up winning Grand Champion at the county fair for his piano-playing chicken.

So here's the Amazing Styx

Aww! So adorable! My hens get treats all the time! I give them scraps from the garden, like lettuce and cucumbers. We also give them kitchen scraps which can be anything but in the summer is mostly fruits. My chickens favorite fruits have to be blueberries and watermelon. They also get bagged treats like mealworms and grubs. My RIR always gets into my treat bags! One time it was open and she stuck her head in there and started munching ! 😂 The other time she ripped open the bag with her feet! :thAnyways, long story short do not ever go outside with a plate, you will be attacked!!:gig

Our flock is pretty spoiled. Our son grew up with chickens and enjoys sitting in a backyard chair with treats while getting covered in chickens. Anyone who sits in that chair better not have a fear of birds!
View attachment 2776471
DS initially trained a couple different chickens for his 4H project but Styx was the best candidate. The 2 orps were slow to pick up on new things (and kept trying to just eat the food or peck at the clicker). The Leghorn was ok but would freeze up or get distracted easily. Our serama Popcorn was by far the smartest..... but she couldn't peck hard enough to work the keyboard. I know he'd love to get some views and likes. He ended up winning Grand Champion at the county fair for his piano-playing chicken.

So here's the Amazing Styx
What an awesome young man. Wow I'm very impressed.
I have one chicken that likes to be held, but the rest are quite content gathering around our feet 🤭

Aww! So adorable! My hens get treats all the time! I give them scraps from the garden, like lettuce and cucumbers. We also give them kitchen scraps which can be anything but in the summer is mostly fruits. My chickens favorite fruits have to be blueberries and watermelon. They also get bagged treats like mealworms and grubs. My RIR always gets into my treat bags! One time it was open and she stuck her head in there and started munching ! 😂 The other time she ripped open the bag with her feet! :thAnyways, long story short do not ever go outside with a plate, you will be attacked!!:gig
Oh yes, my girls love watermelon! I haven't tried giving them blueberries. I have some fresh a friend gave me from her backyard. It's more then I can ever eat so I'll share them with the girls.

Oh yes, my girls love watermelon!
Mine usually love watermelon. They seem to attack and devour it in minutes ..... except once.

My artistic sister carved a watermelon basket for a summer party. I brought home the leftovers, but for some reason my chickens didn't touch it. I left it there and came back a half hour later.... still untouched. It took me a minute to figure out why.
IMG_2399 copy.jpg

It took me a minute to see why they wouldn't want to put their head inside there.
After I slayed the scary monster and broke it up, they had their usual watermelon feeding frenzy.
:lau
IMG_2400.JPG

🤭that thing has teeth momma!
I wish I could carve stuff like that. I'd have sticky watermelon juice all over me, the kitchen, somehow in all the other rooms and it would stll end up looking like I threw it against the wall.

I don't spoil my chickens with scratch -- I use it as a training treat and to get them to turn over parts of the run that seem neglected.

I do spoil them by going out to the edges of my property to pull the best-grown, juiciest weeds to throw into the run -- even after work on a hot day when I want to get inside and sit down.

Back
Top Bottom