SpoilED OR a Real Need????

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by kera!, May 8, 2011.

1. kera!

kera! Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2011
    Navajo County
    I have 18 chickens most are 7 weeks the rest 5 1/2.. I put them In the garage About 2 Weeks ago and left a light for heat , they are all pretty feathered as you can imagine. Do they Need heat still it get sorta cold Probably 50 or so at night and I turn it off in the day.. What should I do..I wanted to Stop the heat..
    [​IMG] Here are 2 of them on top the feeder. a buff orp and a black austrlorp

2. Eglyntine

Eglyntine Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2010
    Reno/Sparks Area, NV
    I would not cut out the heat cold turkey (no pun intended) but over the next few days start cutting back the use of heat a little bit at a time until they get used to temps around 50 to 60. Then you can stop it altogether. [​IMG] As long as they have a place to sleep that is not open to rain/snow and does not have a heavy draft of wind flying through all night then they should acclimate just fine.

Last edited: May 8, 2011
  3. kera!

kera! Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2011
    Navajo County
    Thanks they are in our garage so it has no wind rain etc. They have gone without the heat a few nights when It was really warm.. But they tend to pile in the corner.. I want to put them In their coop inthe next few weeks but it is away from the house a good bit..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by