Spoiled or Normal Behavior?

NickiesChickies

Chirping
Jun 19, 2020
So my flock gets let out of their run around 7 am to free range around our yard. I’ve been letting them stay out longer and longer each day as long as my border collies are out if I can’t be there with them.

However, now when it’s time for them to go back in (my time, not dusk) I am literally walking around the house for a half hour trying to coax them back to their run.

My son says i spoil them. But he’s prob jealous they get more freedom than he does. Hahah. JK.

Also, today with the tropical storm coming, I wanted to have them stay in their coop for better protection against the elements but had to literally pick every one of them up and put them in myself. They were NOT happy with me.

So question is, do I just leave them alone and they’ll eventually go back to their run to be let in at dusk and do I leave them alone in bad weather as they’ll figure out to go into their coop on their own if it gets too bad?

Thanks in advance everyone.

'chickens come home to roost' is a phrase based on their natural behaviour. Some, however, do prefer to roost in trees than a coop, but they will head back there at dusk.
If you want to train them to get them in earlier than they would choose, use treats. Very simple: regular pattern, making a sound you can remember and repeat ('chick, chick, chick' is very popular, or tapping the treat bowl), offer them a treat they really like. After a few days they will come running whenever they hear that sound. :D

You are lucky it only takes you half an hour !!! I gave up trying to get them in early, as all it did was aggravate me beyond belief.

Bad weather ? They are on their own !!! I do have several forms of shelter around the property that they use regularly, but rarely come in from the rain. They seem to enjoy it.

A tropical storm may be another story though .....

'chickens come home to roost' is a phrase based on their natural behaviour. Some, however, do prefer to roost in trees than a coop, but they will head back there at dusk.
If you want to train them to get them in earlier than they would choose, use treats. Very simple: regular pattern, making a sound you can remember and repeat ('chick, chick, chick' is very popular, or tapping the treat bowl), offer them a treat they really like. After a few days they will come running whenever they hear that sound. :D
Thank you!! I actually do that with the chick chick chick call and their feed bucket. They come sometimes but most they’re reluctant.

You are lucky it only takes you half an hour !!! I gave up trying to get them in early, as all it did was aggravate me beyond belief.

Bad weather ? They are on their own !!! I do have several forms of shelter around the property that they use regularly, but rarely come in from the rain. They seem to enjoy it.

A tropical storm may be another story though .....

too funny. I will have to let them grow up then. Got my first cock a doodle doo this morning so guess it’s time to let them start adulting.

Thanks so much for the insight!!

I agree with @Perris. Remember you’re conditioning them with positive reinforcement (BF Skinner). The food associated with ‘chick chick’ HAS to be an amazing and rare treat. Think grapes or worms or something awesome that they never get except under those circumstances. After about a week of pairings of amazing treats with the call then they will run to you in the run when you call. It may take more than a week for some flocks. Dont feed this treat outside of lock up times.

I agree with @Perris. Remember you’re conditioning them with positive reinforcement (BF Skinner). The food associated with ‘chick chick’ HAS to be an amazing and rare treat. Think grapes or worms or something awesome that they never get except under those circumstances. After about a week of pairings of amazing treats with the call then they will run to you in the run when you call. It may take more than a week for some flocks. Dont feed this treat outside of lock up times.
Excellent. Thanks so much for the advice. Going to start today with some grapes.
1594476884388.png
1594476884388.png

Back
Top Bottom