Spokane's Chicken Rules

South Hill Chickens

In the Brooder
10 Years
Mar 27, 2009
Spokane, WA
Okay, I admit, I missed the obscure portion of the land use code I'm talking about here and, sadly, I already have pullets in the basement ready to start going outside. Unfortunately for us, I just found out about Municipal Code Section 17C.310.100 which says:

"No structure or enclosure for animals or poultry other than fencing or grazing land may be located less than ninety feet either from the centerline of any street nor from any adjoining lot."

Now, since most lots in my part of the City barely clear 90 feet long, you can see how this vexes the wannabe chicken keeper like myself. What I would like to know is what other Spokane residents have done in response to this. I noticed the wording that says "no structure . . . for animals," which could mean that I could build them a nice coop in the basement with a door to a run in my backyard and avoid the 90 foot requirement. However, I would really like to let them live in a real coop outside.

Any ideas? Any thoughts? Any pictures of the City staff who wrote this trash so I can print it out and put it on the bottom of my brooder for my little girls to poop all over?

Any and all help is appreciated

Great news! We spoke to the City's Code Enforcement and Current Planning Departments. Apparently they've realized how unrealistic the regulation is and they've stopped enforcing it!!! Bring on the coop!
wee.gif
yippiechickie.gif

I'm so sorry to hear of Spokane's regulations regarding chickens. I did a Google search and came up with this article that was posted in The Spokesman.

What I wonder is, how are the people in the article keeping chickens in the Perry neighborhood?

Hope this helps!

Michele.

P.S. Guess it would help if I'd include the link:

http://www.spokesmanreview.com/home/outdoor/story.asp?ID=85595

Last edited:
Quote:
Apparently the city has realized how silly the regulation is. The way it is worded, it would even prevent people from placing a dog house in their backyard! When we spoke to Code Enforcement they were pretty clear that they were just ignoring the code until it is updated. Of course, we documented the call as best we could and you bet I'll be at the public meetings for that eventual update.

Hey! Good for you, good for your fellow-chicken keepers, and good for the chicks
frow.gif
!

I looked at this a couple months ago and could NOT understand what they were doing! If they want to ban something, they should ban it. To think that someone has acres to play with in the city is ridiculous.

Stay on 'em, Spokane didn't have this silliness only just a few years ago.

Steve

Hi all,
I have been told repeatedly over the last few years that Spokane allows 6 hens per house/lot...Did something change or is it one of those just hasn't changed on paper yet?
Does 3 of a kind of fowl mean I can have 3 chickens & 3 guineas & 3 ducks etc just not more than 3 of a kind?
I appreciate the input.
.I really think that the animals that the city has issues with can be ridiculous...Why is a rooster or a goat or a sheep's voice more of a nuisance than the dogs that bark every time a person or truck goes by? ..I like dogs too!..but seriously .

In Spokane, zoning will probably tell you, you are allowed 3 of any kind of bird and up to 4 birds total. That means 3 chickens, 1 duck or 3 ducks, one chicken or any mix you choose. And actually, if you keep pestering zoning for details, you will learn that you are actually allowed one bird per 2000sf of property. Since most city lots are around 6000-8000sf, they just tell people the limit is 3. One zoning representative actually told me that..
hmm.png

It's ridiculous I know. It can be challenged. It costs money and time, but it's possible. I have thought about taking it on. For a large family that wants to grow it's own food and stay in town, the limits on birds are not acceptable.

Hello Everybody. I'm pretty new around here and I have a question regarding neighborhood covenants...

I live in a rural part of Washington State, and according to county code I can have chickens...however, I've read through the covenants for our community and they are sort of vague...

Here's what it says: "No animal shall be kept or permitted on the property except household pets. Which shall not interfer with the use and enjoyment of any neighboring lot." There is no mention of chickens/poultry etc.

My neighbors on each side of me have given me there blessing to go ahead and get chickens. And there are at least two others in our community that *quietly* have owned chickens (no roosters) for 1-3 years.

Anyways, based off the wording of the covenants, is it safe for me to set up a chicken house/run for 5-10 hens?

Back
Top Bottom