Sponges in LG bators to up the humidity? Bad or Good Idea?

_Randall_

Songster
10 Years
Nov 3, 2009
Grenada, Ms
I've read on here where some put sponges in their LG bator in conjunction with water in the bottom wells to up the humidity. BUT, I've also read (somewhere on here) where the sponges are a bacteria-attractant waiting to happen? .........
idunno.gif
Your opinion?

I used them....bought a new package ($1 at the dollar store) and put them in on lock-down. I made sure to put them under the larger holes so I could use a straw to add water to up the humidity. Then after hatch, I tossed them. 9 eggs went into lock-down and 9 eggs hatched. It worked for me, but I am new to all this.

The LG will hold humidity better if you put a weight on the top to smoosh the two halves together for a better seal.
I have a book to distribute the weight and a box of .22 bullets that was laying around in the "junk room" (where the brooder is)
lol.png

Quote:
Yep, I'd done already had that in my plans when I hit "go" on my first go-round. This rookie's got some learnin' to do ... LOL

Yes, thats what I do too. After turkey basting water in and out of those wells my first time hatching... I learned taking sponges in and out was MUCH easier! LOL

Wow, I've been busy for a while.
caf.gif
Yes, try some sponges. I have two thin sponges that I used. and can anyone tell me why a good Clorox bleach soak and through rinse before a subsequent use isn't good enough? Otherwise we might as well just pitch out our LGs and buy new ones for every hatch. I do like the idea of the plastic incubator liners to make them easier to clean.
droolin.gif

Back
Top Bottom