spontaneous combustion?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by grammym, Jan 17, 2013.

1. grammym

grammym Out Of The Brooder

Oct 22, 2012
    Sequim, WA
    my dh is concerned that the deep litter method that I want to use when I get my chickens will spontaneously combust like a compost pile from the heat it might generate. I haven't seen any concerns of this sort on the dlm but could it happen? I like the idea of using it in the coop. Thanks.

2. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

That's a new one on me. I will try not to snicker because I know folks who don't know YET what they will know though experience are just uninformed. Not fair to make fun of him.

You are not building a compost heap IN your coop. Your chickens will keep the bedding litter scratched up and aerated and you will also be breaking up poopy clumps you see with a rake. Pine shavings, particularly, are not small like powder which could possibly smolder with high nitrate levels... The idea is to have a LOT of bedding material to dry out the droppings, so the "heat" from fertilizer isn't concentrated in one spot (under the roosts, for example).

Folks have used deep litter methods of various sorts for generations without their coops erupting in spontaneous combustion.

But I sure wouldn't store any oily rags anywhere in it. :)

3. grammym

grammym Out Of The Brooder

Oct 22, 2012
    Sequim, WA
    Thank you. I didn't think it would, but thought I would just humor him. This forum has really helped me tremendously in preparing for my girls in the spring.

4. delisha

delisha Overrun With Chickens

Oct 13, 2012
    Racine, WI -
    My Coop
    Your DH is adorable. It is wonderful that he is concerned. You should tell him it is really important for big strong men to turn the compost daily ..just to be sure.[​IMG]

5. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

[​IMG] [​IMG]

6. jockeyeba

jockeyeba Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 27, 2010
    San Antonio area
    :lau

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by