Spontaneous mega-sized mealie

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by feathersnuggles, Sep 1, 2011.

1. feathersnuggles

feathersnuggles Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2009
    Seattle
    Tonight I was replacing carrot and apple slices on my mealworm farm and what should appear but a HUGE mealworm...way bigger than anything I've ever seen in my farm. It's about twice the length and width of the regulars. I've been raising mealworms for a while - this is about the 5th generation, since I started. All my mealworms have been regular size.

Question. Has anyone else found a mutant huge mealworm in their breeding program? I can't be the first.

2. BellevueOmlet

BellevueOmlet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    I haven't but you should breed it to make a mutantly large species [​IMG]

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Kill it before it spreads!! That's how it starts and then they rise up and take over the world. I think they try feeding people to chickens. I know I won't sleep well ..tonight. Thank goodness you didn't include a photo.

4. Momagain1

Momagain1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2011
    Central IL
    Quote:you SO want a photo!!

5. TriciaHowe

TriciaHowe Mother Hen

Nov 11, 2008
    Trenton, FL
    Quote:you SO want a photo!!

[​IMG]

6. Gallo del Cielo

Gallo del Cielo La Gallina Resort & Spa

May 6, 2010
    Tucson
    My Coop
    Quick, kill it with fire before it spreads!!! No, not really. [​IMG] I've never encountered such a thing. The odd thing is that this is your 5th generation, so it's not likely something else that got put into your initial batch of worms. I wonder if it's a developmental problem with that individual worm where juvenile hormone production didn't turn off as it normally would. We definitely want pics! [​IMG]

7. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    Want Photo of mutant mealie!

8. feathersnuggles

Sep 4, 2009
    Seattle
    OK, OK. [​IMG]

I've found my camera. You guys are just so lucky it's a holiday weekend so I've got nothing better to do than find & dig out mega-mealie and some of his/her friends and take them where they like best -- in full sunshine - for a photo shoot. [​IMG]

Found another mega, that was slightly smaller. You can see the two tiny ones are more like my full regular size mealies, just before they pupate. "King mega-biggie" is nearest the adult.

But I CAN'T believe I'm the only one. boo hoo, that stinks. I wanna know why this happens... and experience group support and so on. Now I might never know. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. feathersnuggles

Sep 4, 2009
    Seattle
    Quote:LOL! Now with traumatic photos. [​IMG]

10. kizanne

kizanne Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2011
    Tallahassee, FL
    Id seperate that mealie and pick some of your other largest ones to try breeding natually larger mealies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by