Spooked Chickens?

lularat

Songster
6 Years
Mar 10, 2013
NC
My chickens do not free range and have a large run. When I got home from work today, my son told me the girls stayed in the back part of the run and did not run to the door. If they hear anyone approaching the run, all 6 of them are waiting at the door to greet them. Sure enough, when I went to see them, none of them ran to the door and all were toward the back of the run. They were also very cautious. I'm sure something spooked them. I guess I'm concerned about how long it takes for them to return to their normal behavior. I hate seeing them like this. They are super friendly and none were interested in any attention from me today. How long will they remain spooked?

i don't know how long it will take but i feel for you something got in one of my pens and killed one of my hens. then i would let me hens out to free range and they would not go back to there pen and still wont and its been over a mouth. they still act scared of me.

This morning they still didn't come running to the door, so I cooked them some oatmeal and lured them to the side of the run near the door. By the afternoon, they were back to their normal, running to the door.

Last edited:
I have a similar challenge - on of my Delawares seems completely off today. She stands in ONE spot in the pen and won't leave it. On occasion she will 'wig out' and fly all over the pen (it's in-door contained). I went in to check on here and she completely wigged out, flying all over and panicking the other girls. I have never seen them this nervous. No predators or threats around (it's in our basement). She does sound hoarse - like she's got a sore throat.

She has been standoffish from the rest of the girls all day and they seem to sense something is off kilter with her. I don't know if she might be sick or suffering from a debilitating problem? Wondering if anyone has ever encountered this kind of thing? I'm watching her now, and it's like she's the odd-girl-out right now from the flock.

Any ideas for a cause?

Back
Top Bottom