1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Spooked off the nest

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Flawedatdesign, May 30, 2011.

1. Flawedatdesign

Flawedatdesign Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2011
    Dixon Missouri
    Okay if any of you have been following my ramblings. You will know I have been chasing chickens for a week.
    Well heard the rooster crowing today so went to investigate. Well he was in the old barn. So we tried to catch him lol well he knew who the weak link was and ran between my legs. The Hen #3 shot out from the corner and between my legs. Well we went back to look for more after Hen #2 in a different stall shot between my legs lol. That is when we noticed a nice little nest with 4 eggs.

Now being we ran her off of it will she come back and set it?

2. tgperg

tgperg Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 7, 2011
    Oklahoma City
    Quote:Man, I think it totally depends on the chicken. One of mine wouldn't come off a nest if a stick of dynamite went off under her butt, and one freaks out if another chicken looks at her crosswise.

Traci

3. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Nine times out of ten, hen will return to nest. Only four eggs, unless she is of a breed that is extremely broody, will be followed more before she begins to incubate.

4. Flawedatdesign

Flawedatdesign Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2011
    Dixon Missouri
    Well she came back and laid another egg. Still not finding them lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by