sporadiac layers

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ange, Nov 21, 2011.

1. ange

ange Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2009
    CORNING NY
    WE HAVE 11 HENS, BUFFS RHODE ISLAND RED, NEW HAMPSHOERE RED, AGES RANGE BETWEEN 9 MO AND 3 YEARS. they are molting, since we have a ton of feathers in the coop. They lay betwee l or 2 eggs a do or so, probably since thet are molting, and we do not have additioinal sunlight light. When can I EXPECT THEM TO START LAYING MORE, they have been molting for about 3 or 4 weeks, even before, we did not have much eggs. OPONIONS PLEASE

2. justbugged

justbugged Head of the Night Crew for WA State

Jan 27, 2009
    Enumclaw
    They probably won't lay again until spring. Chickens need 14 hours of light per day in order to lay. So between the molt and the lack of light, it will be spring. I have the same thing going on here too.

3. wolftracks

wolftracks Spam Hunter

Nov 6, 2009
    Modesto
    Mine started back laying in February this year after stopping in August. I think it really depends on what your winters are like as well as breeds. My last flock I had a lot of Doms and Polish that never stopped, even in winter, but I've heard a lot of people say Polish are not good layers, so maybe I was just lucky.

I have one EE laying right now. All the rest are freeloaders again, but some haven't started laying yet and the others are moulting. Still my consistant layer right now is a moulting beat up feather bird, so who knows.

I do remember that several people I know had their birds start back up the end of December and begining of January.

So there ya go. Basically they lay when they're ready and they decide when that is.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by