Sportsman Incubator Questions

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by OneCuteShasta, Feb 6, 2009.

1. OneCuteShasta

OneCuteShasta Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2007
    Tropical oHIo
  2. minna

minna Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2008
    Burnsville, MS
    If you are set on a Georgia Quail, then sure, it's a good setup. But check these out http://www.dickeyincubators.com/ I'm counting my pennies until I can buy one. They are made out of real wood and are cheaper. The humidity system is 33.50 compared to 49.56, and it's the same thing. I just bought one from Mr. Dickey for my homemade cabinet bator. Plus you can't get better customer service, when you call, you get Mr. Dickey.

3. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I only wish I had a coop large enough for a sportsman (Or dickey) bator AND hatcher.

4. MandyH

MandyH You'll shoot your eye out!

That's a nice set up, but you will have to buy your egg trays. I have the humidty thing but I didn't like it so I don't use it. I also have the egg trays but I use egg cartons.

5. ladybug4ut1

ladybug4ut1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2007
    Central Florida
    It is a really nice set up and really manitenace (sp) free. just have to adjust cover on water pan for humidity control. Ihave a 1202. that i bought used and really like it...

6. the_eagle69

the_eagle69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2009
    Far SW VA
    They are great. Simple to use. keep a check on your water of corse this is the main thing. mine came with everything needed to hach if you really want to hatch a lot i do recomend the plastic egg trays and get some small (rat) wire and but on the bottem of the haching tray i found this help the chick get up and moveing (after a few hatches i had some cripled chicks the tray became slick the wire fixed this) I set tray 1 with 60 chicks one week later tray 2 and then tray 3 move tray one to hatch on day 18 on day day 23 i end the hatch becarefull on timeing of setting the trays back plan ahead so you dont have over lap for the hatching tray. One more thing i have found shop around for this model price does vary check with your local feed store / co-op (SS) if you have one close by.B

7. Black Feather

Black Feather Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2007
    There is also an incubator called an OvaEasy: http://www.brinsea.com/products/oe380.html

I've
    never used one, but thought I would add it to your list of possibilities.

Having said that, I have a SprotsMan 1202 and think it's great! I bought it used and it's been worth every penny I paid for it and then some. I wouldn't mind getting a newer model at some point, but until I win the lottery I'll stick with what I have [​IMG]

UC

8. OneCuteShasta

OneCuteShasta Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2007
    Tropical oHIo
    I was planning on this brand because I can do a local pick up at the hatchery. It sounds like it's a good incubator. I never thought of trying the co-op. Thanks for the input! You guys are great!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by