spots on comb--- should I worry????

chicks4fun

Songster
14 Years
May 11, 2009
Frederick County MD
My rooster recently got some black spots on his comb. This isn't from cold as it's not been cold enough. Now I think the hen he spends time with also is getting spots. What are these?
Any idea what I should do for them?

Also I looked at the info on the web on chicken pox and these didn't start out as "wet" or yellow lesions - - but I'm still trying to read up on this virus. Anyone know if there is a test to be sure?

Looks like fowl pox, its just like chicken pox in humans, it spreads through mosquitos or contact with other birds that have it. They only get it once just like people. It isn't cause for too much concern unless it gets in their eyes or mouth area, wet pox is actually fowl pox that has spread to the respiratory system which can be fatal. You can get an ointment to put on it from your local feed store. I freaked out when my girls got it, but now I am glad they did because they can't get it again and it's one less thing I have to worry about. Don't freak out if egg production declines, 2 of mine layed less eggs and one quit laying altogether until it cleared up.

The main thing is to check them everyday to make sure it stays on their combs and doesn't spread down the face.

How long did this take to clear up? Mine has had spots just like this on her comb for months (at least through the winter maybe longer) and it gets bigger not smaller. Another one of my girls has it too, now. At least I know why the first one stopped laying.

The spots had cleared up. Later this rooster was tested for MG and it was positive. He went on Tylen for a week and he looks okay now. I gave him to a friend, we are not sure if he got this from her hens or from mine (I think it starts with wild birds).
He later got really puffy runny eyes but the spots went away before the eyes got messy. I thought some of the black comb issue happens when it is cold, not sure. Anyway, MG is for life and she is keeping her birds as a closed flock.
Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom