spots on feathers?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Gazinga, Sep 26, 2008.

1. Gazinga

Gazinga Chook Norris

ok, i know i need pics with it, but need to get my camera tomorow and ill post them then. But perhaps someone will know what i mean in its description,

Half my flock (5 out of 10) have just started to get grey spots on the end of their tail feathers. it doest have any texture and doest wash off, it looks like its stained into the feather.

any idea what this could be? should i be worried?

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Perhaps they are just stains. If my white leghorns weren't such efficent layers, I wouldn't keep them. Their white feathers get stained mud brown within a month of moult.

3. Gazinga

Gazinga Chook Norris

that is possible i guess, i have buff orps and their feathers are lightly colored, they are acting fine and show no problems, i just want to be safe and protect my girls.

4. Gazinga

Gazinga Chook Norris

any other ideas as to what it could be?

5. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

No idea other than stains at the end of feathers, since coloration on feathers is like people dying their hair.

6. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    Buff Orps? Have they been in the sun a lot? They are probably sun spots.

7. Gazinga

Gazinga Chook Norris

well, the spots are a grey color, but they spend all day in teh sun, but they have shade to go to is they want, ive never heard that they get sun spots.

8. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    I suppose it depends on what shade of grey. A picture could help.
    My Orpingtons (buff) became a multi shaded bird when they were out in the sun a lot. This changes back after a moult. It was more of a lighter color, almost whitsh color. Is common in some buff birds, depending on their genetic code.

9. the1much

the1much Currently Birdless Hippy

sounds like stains,,,,anyone roost over them?,, hehe [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by