spotted a racoon should we worry?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by bosoxbratt, Oct 26, 2010.

1. bosoxbratt

bosoxbratt Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2009
    Hi all :)
    We have 15 hens and one rooster and last saturday we saw a racoon walking around our front yard and side yard..our girls are kept in our back yard ..my concern is do you think it is only a matter of time before the coon comes back to try to get them or do you think cause he didn't try he isn't interested?

We usually free range them but since we saw the racoon we have kept them in their outdoor pen and have given them lots of greens and things so they dont miss out to much I am just worried it may come back and get one or more?

We have 3 dogs which I am hoping may have scared it off but just want to make sure it is ok to let them back out to free range..it was fairly early in the day when he saw him around 11:00 am TY for ahny info

2. chicks4kids

chicks4kids Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Northern Indiana
    Oh yes, he'll be back...he'll come at night when everyone is asleep

3. herefordlovinglady

herefordlovinglady It Is What It Is

Jun 23, 2009
    Georgia
    coons are trouble -- period. but you seeing one in the daylight hours is worse -- most folks say that when they are out in the day then the chances of them being rabid are high.

trap them dispatch them -- it's the only way to protect your flock. there are numerous threads about coons and what some tricks are to keep them away, but like one person said on an earlier thread today -- the best way and only way to keep your flock safe is to get rid of them.

4. Dead Rabbit

Dead Rabbit Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    Virginia
    be afraid, be very afraid

5. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

I'd trap him and leave the chickens penned up until you get him.

But as for what you do after you trap him?

[​IMG]

There may be a family of them.

6. Liamm_1

Liamm_1 Chillin' With My Peeps

wow, 11am?! scary!
    I'd be vigilant, and keep the gun ready (I keep a pellet gun by my back door, can't discharge firearms here). Are the dogs in the yard with the chickens? We used to have racoons through our yard every night around 1-2am (prior to keeping chickens). Haven't seen them in a while though, we have 3 dogs on one side and 4 dogs on the other (we have none yet). I'm guessing the racoons prefer to visit yards without so many dogs nearby.

7. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    Yes, I would worry. First of all, raccoons are mostly nocturnal, so I'd be concerned about why this one was out during daytime. Starving? Rabid?

If I were you, I'd double check coop security, and consider putting out a trap.

8. Dead Rabbit

Dead Rabbit Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    Virginia
    Quote:why, you do this to him...........

[​IMG]

this one cost me a number of expensive fowl, but i finally got him

9. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Quote:why, you do this to him...........

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff195/TroyDone/montanatrip006.jpg

this one cost me a number of expensive fowl, but i finally got him

What I meant was, whether or not to let the chickens back out in the yard afterward. There might be a family of raccoons, and more might come. Uh, I see it was you- 1, racoon - 0. [​IMG]

10. bosoxbratt

bosoxbratt Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2009
    TY everyone :)
    We have double checked and then rechecked the coop and the fenced in pen for them so far nothing has tried to get them no tracks that we can see ??

Our dogs are not out with the chickens at least not in the actual yard part with them when they are free ranging mainly cause one is a springer spaniel and she goes after anything that moves whether it is a leaf or a bug so we do not trust her at all to be out and about with them the other two probably would be ok with them but still dont trust them 100% as they are both dogs that love to play and they may play to rough and hurt them...when we do let them outside they go all around the fence yard barking and carrying on like they smell something or are warning whatever to stay away?

I know the racoon didn't not seem to be afraid of any noise from me as I was making all sorts of racket to get him to go away and he just looked at me and continued on his way?

I guess at this point and time we should not let them free range for a few more days and see what happens?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by